Charles Mingus, The Complete Town Hall Concert

Guy Berger

When I first purchased the "Town Hall Concert" it was a BN LP with a painted cover of the concert. But I never understood why it was under the BN Label since Mingus never was a BN artist, he only once played bass on a 1954 J.J. Johnson date.

Later I picked up the CD with the "Complete Concert" with a very strange cover photo of Mingus with a shaved head. I like mostly the slower numbers, there is something based on the chords of "I can´t get started" and a beautiful thing which I think is called "Love X" or '"Duke´s Choice". Some of it is weird, I think the "Epitaph" has some passsages that reminded me of "Pyticantropus Erectus" .....

On the original LP the last tune "In a Mellow Tone" I think was titled "Finale".....

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

When I first purchased the "Town Hall Concert" it was a BN LP with a painted cover of the concert. But I never understood why it was under the BN Label since Mingus never was a BN artist, he only once played bass on a 1954 J.J. Johnson date.

It had to have been a United Artists thing. That's the cover that Solid State used here.

R-2919873-1307338025.jpeg.jpg