BFT 182 link and discussion

Dmitry

On 5/8/2019 at 2:32 AM, BillF said:

Track 7

"Don't Take Your Love from Me" from Milt Jackson and Coleman Hawkins, Bean Bags

Track 8

Junior Mance, "Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You"

7. Yep.

8.  You are close, they both came out of the blues, but it's not Mance.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:20 AM, felser said:

#5 has to be a Blue Note cut with Bobby Hutcherson, doesn't it?  Having trouble placing it, but I know I am (more accurately have been) familiar with it.  Love the rhythm section on it.

5. Nope. :D

17 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

This is a really fun BFT to listen to. I don’t know the song or album on Track 3, but it sounds like Gene Ammons and Wynton Kelly to me. 

3. It is Jug. Good ear!

24 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Sangrey is slammin’...got the Mustang too..that was my ace in the hole. 😡

You might get a kick out of the fact that I had an intense bout of CRS last night when listening to this BFT for the first time. I knew that song, knew that record, knew it was some Blue Note boogaloo, but could not for the life of me remember which one it was. Bugged the piss outta me too, went to bed thinking about it, running through possibilities, nothing clicked. And I knew I had this record too...but that didn't help. Not just brain farts, brain....implosion.

But I woke up this morning, started hearing the riff in my head and just said, oh yeah, Mustang, Donald Byrd, Curtis Amy, Verve. Hog on bari. Of course!!! Literally rolled out of bed and there it all was in the head.

I tell you, I'm only 63, but the cognitive powers are not what they used to be. Well, they are, but it takes longer now for them to get going

43 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I tell you, I'm only 63, but the cognitive powers are not what they used to be. Well, they are, but it takes longer now for them to get going

Yeah, I'm 64, and go through frequent bouts of "I used to know that..." such as with the great Paul Horn cut on #5, sports knowledge, history, passwords, names of people I see in hallways at work (very large company and I've been here 38 years) all sorts of things.  

13 minutes ago, Milestones said:

I have never before heard the name Curtis Amy.  I did look up information and found that he participated in some high-profile rock and soul projects--The Doors, Carole King, Marvin Gaye, etc.

And also...

R-4049206-1353535970-5202.jpeg.jpg

a fine little set indeed!

He was married to Merry Clayton, who has had quite a career, but is mainly known (and rightfully so) for the "rape murder, it's just a shot away" sequence in the Stones masterpiece, "Gimme Shelter".  She absolutely steals the documentary "20 Feet From Stardom" from the other participants, especially with her story of how she came to participate in that song.  She also cut a few fine solo albums in the early 70's.  Amy was 19 years her senior, but it all seemed to work:

Image result for curtis amy married to merry clayton

• 2 weeks later...

Very listenable BFT.  Thanks!

Track 01 - When Did You Leave Heaven?  But who by?  A touch of Hartman, a touch of Eckstine, but it’s neither.

Track 02 - You Don’t Know What Love Is on what sounds like an upright piano.  Not someone I’m familiar with (at least not solo).  Can’t decide if I like this or not.  

Track 03 - Like the feel of this.  Almost childlike, but a groove all the same.  Needle drop.  I want him to play something that makes me commit to Jug… or play a Yusef lick so I commit that way.  But he just won’t.  I’ll commit to Jug and be wrong.  I want a WHOLE lot more of this.  Not up on my nylon-string guitarists.  Oooo… tasty piano.  Maybe Hugh Lawson?  

Track 04 - Minimalist composition.  :D. Last tune made something out of nothing.  This one seems to be trying to make too much out of nothing.  I don’t know the players.

Track 05 - More needle drop.  Ah!  Yes!  I was going to say something from Checkmate, but there’s Paul Horn.  Mr. Bond.  SUCH a cool tune.  I believe it’s the version from this.  I think this was in a BFT not too long ago and I found myself getting very into Paul Horn afterward. This is a great track.

Track 06 - Vocalist is very familiar.  I’m thinking maybe someone I’m more familiar with in the pop realm?  No.  Maybe Abbey Lincoln?  Tune “Something To Remember You By”.

Track 07 - Love the vibes.  A bit of Buddy Tate in the tenor, but not him.  Very nice.  

Track 08 -  Gee Baby, Ain’t I Confused Because It’s Not Who I Thought It was (The Three Sounds).  Nothing earth shattering or new here, just a good cover of a classic tune.

Track 09 - No idea.  Doesn’t really click for me, but it fits into the program. 

After perusing the thread -- SHAME ON ME!!!!  Gotta stop listening on the laptop speakers.  Mising Curtis Amy is unforgiveable.  Missing Bean and Bags is sacrilege.  I suck so bad I shouldn't even call myself a fan. 

1 hour ago, tkeith said:

Very listenable BFT.  Thanks!

Track 01 - When Did You Leave Heaven?  But who by?  A touch of Hartman, a touch of Eckstine, but it’s neither.

Track 02 - You Don’t Know What Love Is on what sounds like an upright piano.  Not someone I’m familiar with (at least not solo).  Can’t decide if I like this or not.  

Track 03 - Like the feel of this.  Almost childlike, but a groove all the same.  Needle drop.  I want him to play something that makes me commit to Jug… or play a Yusef lick so I commit that way.  But he just won’t.  I’ll commit to Jug and be wrong.  I want a WHOLE lot more of this.  Not up on my nylon-string guitarists.  Oooo… tasty piano.  Maybe Hugh Lawson?  

Track 04 - Minimalist composition.  :D. Last tune made something out of nothing.  This one seems to be trying to make too much out of nothing.  I don’t know the players.

Track 05 - More needle drop.  Ah!  Yes!  I was going to say something from Checkmate, but there’s Paul Horn.  Mr. Bond.  SUCH a cool tune.  I believe it’s the version from this.  I think this was in a BFT not too long ago and I found myself getting very into Paul Horn afterward. This is a great track.

Track 06 - Vocalist is very familiar.  I’m thinking maybe someone I’m more familiar with in the pop realm?  No.  Maybe Abbey Lincoln?  Tune “Something To Remember You By”.

Track 07 - Love the vibes.  A bit of Buddy Tate in the tenor, but not him.  Very nice.  

Track 08 -  Gee Baby, Ain’t I Confused Because It’s Not Who I Thought It was (The Three Sounds).  Nothing earth shattering or new here, just a good cover of a classic tune.

Track 09 - No idea.  Doesn’t really click for me, but it fits into the program. 

After perusing the thread -- SHAME ON ME!!!!  Gotta stop listening on the laptop speakers.  Mising Curtis Amy is unforgiveable.  Missing Bean and Bags is sacrilege.  I suck so bad I shouldn't even call myself a fan. 

You do better than almost all of us! Some months better than all of us. Blindfold Tests are hard to guess! But to me the fun is hearing new music. 

Edited by Hot Ptah

On 5/10/2019 at 9:43 AM, felser said:
On 5/10/2019 at 8:56 AM, JSngry said:

You might get a kick out of the fact that I had an intense bout of CRS last night when listening to this BFT for the first time. I knew that song, knew that record, knew it was some Blue Note boogaloo, but could not for the life of me remember which one it was. Bugged the piss outta me too, went to bed thinking about it, running through possibilities, nothing clicked. And I knew I had this record too...but that didn't help. Not just brain farts, brain....implosion.

But I woke up this morning, started hearing the riff in my head and just said, oh yeah, Mustang, Donald Byrd, Curtis Amy, Verve. Hog on bari. Of course!!! Literally rolled out of bed and there it all was in the head.

Yeah, I'm 64, and go through frequent bouts of "I used to know that..." such as with the great Paul Horn cut on #5, sports knowledge, history, passwords, names of people I see in hallways at work (very large company and I've been here 38 years) all sorts of things.  

A friend recently gave me input from his doctor:  Forgetting your keys is not Alzheimer's.   Forgetting what the keys are for?  Might be time to call somebody.