Woodstock 50th Anniversary Releases

felser

1 hour ago, gvopedz said:

the Woodstock 50 team announced that it has enlisted the help of Oppenheimer & Co. to complete financing for the three-day event to take place in August.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/woodstock-50-is-back-on-maybe.html

Wonder if tickets will still be $18 for the full three days.

Image result for woodstock ticket 1969 $21

Edited by felser

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, gvopedz said:

the Woodstock 50 team announced that it has enlisted the help of Oppenheimer & Co. to complete financing for the three-day event to take place in August.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/woodstock-50-is-back-on-maybe.html

This sounds a bit fishy.

Back when the Japanese investor pulled out and "canceled" the festival, we read:

Multiple plans for the festival were presented on Friday, April 26, according to [promoter Michael] Lang. All involved “a slight profit,” which Lang has long said is par for the course with such festivals. But then, on April 29, [Dentsu] said they were taking control of the festival, and then cancelled it…“without any advance notice to me or my team.”

But now Lang has retained a Wall St. investment bank to find investors? Those guys don't get involved with "slight profit" ventures. Or else Oppenheimer will be collecting big fees to bring in dumbass investors who will lose money. (The lamented Dentsu seemed like a prime mullet; presumably Oppenheimer will cast a wider net.) In any case, Lang will have to disavow his earlier plans and claim bigger profits. And I'm sure Lang himself will pocket substantial fees. $18 probably won't even buy a meal at the concession stands.

Edited by T.D.

47 minutes ago, T.D. said:

This sounds a bit fishy.

Back when the Japanese investor pulled out and "canceled" the festival, we read:

Multiple plans for the festival were presented on Friday, April 26, according to [promoter Michael] Lang. All involved “a slight profit,” which Lang has long said is par for the course with such festivals. But then, on April 29, [Dentsu] said they were taking control of the festival, and then cancelled it…“without any advance notice to me or my team.”

But now Lang has retained a Wall St. investment bank to find investors? Those guys don't get involved with "slight profit" ventures. Or else Oppenheimer will be collecting big fees to bring in dumbass investors who will lose money. (The lamented Dentsu seemed like a prime mullet; presumably Oppenheimer will cast a wider net.) In any case, Lang will have to disavow his earlier plans and claim bigger profits. And I'm sure Lang himself will pocket substantial fees. $18 probably won't even buy a meal at the concession stands.

May be a matter of the concert itself making a "small profit" and the ancillaries doing the rest.  On top of the $18 ticket for the '69 festival (before it became "free") , there was the movie, which grossed $50 million, the soundtrack triple album, which went to #1 on the Billboard charts, and the Woodstock II double album, which came out a year later and went top 10.  Those sold several million copies between them, plus the residual flow through the decades (such as the 25th, 40th, and 50th anniversaries, DVD/Blu-ray sales in multiple "special editions" etc.   And I've bought them all.  That being said, I didn't buy Woodstock '94 or '99, and won't be buying Hanna Montana-stock '19 either.

Good points, John. I guess I overlooked the ancillaries because I won't be purchasing any either.

As I recall, Lang's selling point to ex-sponsor Dentsu (Japanese advertising concern) was that Dentsu had been involved in a big scandal, and sponsoring a music festival was a way of rehabilitating the company's reputation. With the Street now involved, it'll be much more P/L driven.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Brad said:

FWIW, article in the New Yorker on Woodstock and the 38 CD set, Surviving Woodstock

Interesting article, thanks.  I was 14 and found out about the festival from Time Magazine, to which my parents had a subscription.  It was really the 3-album set which brought it into the forefront of my consciousness.  I didn't see the movie for a couple more years, as I was too young to get into an R-rated movie in 1970.  We had an excellent FM free form rock station in Cincinnati at the time, WEBN, and I had an older friend very tuned into the rock scene, so I was well-informed musically, if not culturally (which is probably a pretty good description of me to this day).  Also read Rolling Stone, Creem, and Crawdaddy when I could get them.  And Lillian Roxan's Rock Encyclopedia.

42 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I would love a 38-CD set of whatever the unwashed hippies' parents were listening to that weekend, preferably with cocktail recipes in the accompanying booklet. 

I'd love to spend a month with an entire 38-cd set, but I'd be perfectly happy without most of it in my collection. The Hendrix is better on video (and the performance itself isn't spectacular, at least the lion's majority isn't).

Not sure what else I'd really 'need' -- but it'd be a gas to hear the entirely thing sometime. *Once*

10 minutes ago, felser said:

Richie Havens - Freedom

Santana - Soul Sacrifice

Ten Years After - I'm Going Home

OK, you got me on Havens' "Freedom" and Santana's "Soul Sacrifice".  I don't own either one, but they are certainly both memorable and exceptional.  I'll have to stream TYA's "I'm Going Home" -- not recalling it (but then again, TYA rings no bells for me at all, generally speaking).

47 minutes ago, gvopedz said:

I would buy the 38 CDs if released in a cardboard box with cardboard sleeves at a much lower price.

I'm hoping the entire thing is accessible via streaming at some point.  Not pining for it or anything, and it wouldn't bother me a bit if it weren't ever available that way.  But it'd be fun, as a diversion, just to dig into the whole bloody mess and see what's there.  Maybe even put the whole 38 discs worth of material on "random" and see what comes up.  Or spin (stream) a 'disc' every day until I'd heard the whole thing (probably take me 2-3 months, if I was honest, to get through that much material.

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I'll have to stream TYA's "I'm Going Home" -- not recalling it (but then again, TYA rings no bells for me at all, generally speaking).

I'm not into much of late 60s/early 70s hard/other rock at all but any version of "I'm Going Home" is effin' smokin'!  :excited: (Those who have an idea of where I come from music-wise will understand why I think so ... ;)). I'd listened to the versions on  "Undead" and the Woostock album at a friend's place but found the version on "Recorded Live" best and this is one of the VERY few LPs form that period that I later picked up for myself.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

8 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I'm not into much of late 60s/early 70s hard/other rock at all but any version of "I'm Going Home" is effin' smokin'!  :excited: (Those who have an idea of where I come from music-wise will understand why I think so ... ;)). I'd listened to the versions on  "Undead" and the Woostock album at a friend's place but found the version on "Recorded Live" best and this is one of the VERY few LPs form that period that I later picked up for myself.

"Recorded Live" is a great live album!  I saw TYA live at the Spectrum in Philly around that time, great show.  Nice triple bill, though I don't even remember BTO from that concert, just Climax Blues Band (who were really good, around the time of FM Live, my favorite by them).

5/17/1974          Philadelphia, PA, Spectrum      Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Climax Blues Band

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I'm hoping the entire thing is accessible via streaming at some point.  Not pining for it or anything, and it wouldn't bother me a bit if it weren't ever available that way.  But it'd be fun, as a diversion, just to dig into the whole bloody mess and see what's there.  Maybe even put the whole 38 discs worth of material on "random" and see what comes up.  Or spin (stream) a 'disc' every day until I'd heard the whole thing (probably take me 2-3 months, if I was honest, to get through that much material.

We can probably safely skip disc 38, which apparently is all announcements and crowd noises.  Would have to think through what that set gives me at the margins over what I already own from Woodstock (several of the complete sets by individual artists have been release over the years, as well as multiple other box sets, and I believe I have it all.  Not sure if I need to keep the 25th and 40th anniversary box sets after having the new 10CD set - will have to compare content).

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

But I would still like the parents' music more.  I have zero patience for hippies.  

You sound like some of the characters in Tarantino's new movie, as the world started to shift beneath their feet.