Woodstock 50th Anniversary Releases

felser

This is cool. 

And that's the way it is. Peace Out. 

9 hours ago, felser said:

They're all worthwhile.  Though if you have the 2CD Legacy edition of the first Santana album, you have all of their Woodstock performance except for a weak "Evil Ways", and a lot of other good material.

https://www.amazon.com/Santana-Legacy/dp/B00064ADNY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=20YR0DFB3X8CF&keywords=santana+legacy+edition&qid=1566358084&s=music&sprefix=santana+legacy%2Cpopular%2C126&sr=1-1

Thanks. Saw this down at the small record store in our town. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎08‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:29 PM, felser said:

They're all worthwhile.  Though if you have the 2CD Legacy edition of the first Santana album, you have all of their Woodstock performance except for a weak "Evil Ways", and a lot of other good material.

https://www.amazon.com/Santana-Legacy/dp/B00064ADNY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=20YR0DFB3X8CF&keywords=santana+legacy+edition&qid=1566358084&s=music&sprefix=santana+legacy%2Cpopular%2C126&sr=1-1

I bought the Legacy edition of the first Santana album when it was released and the liner notes say “Interestingly, the band opted not to perform ‘Evil Ways’,” at Woodstock.  Maybe the liner notes have been corrected in reissues of the Legacy edition.

1 hour ago, gvopedz said:

I bought the Legacy edition of the first Santana album when it was released and the liner notes say “Interestingly, the band opted not to perform ‘Evil Ways’,” at Woodstock.  Maybe the liner notes have been corrected in reissues of the Legacy edition.

That must have been an editing or typo error. 

1 hour ago, gvopedz said:

Disc 11

SANTANA
Featuring/CARLOS SANTANA: guitar • GREGG ROLIE: vocals, keyboard • DAVID BROWN: bass • MICHAEL SHRIEVE: drums • MIKE CARABELLO: timbales, congas, percussion • JOSE “CHEPITO” AREAS: trumpet, timbales, congas, percussion

1. WAITING                                                  [5:11]
   2. EVIL WAYS                                                [4:34]
   3. JUST DON’T CARE                                          [4:21]
   4. SAVOR                                                    [5:22]
   5. JINGO                                                    [5:45]
   6. PERSUASION                                               [3:25]
   7. SOUL SACRIFICE                                          [13:04]
   8. FRIED NECK BONES AND SOME HOME FRIES                      [6:33]
   9. Chip Monck – "Wheat Germ, Holly has your bag"            [16:19]

• 2 years later...

Don't figure this was worth its own thread, but I was today years old when I discovered that Woodstock included the following jazz artists:

* Ralph Towner and Glen Moore were in Tim Hardin's band

* Paul Motian played with Arlo Guthrie

* David Sanborn and Phillip Wilson played with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band (by coincidence I was listening to Wilson on the AEC Nessa box just a couple of days ago)

Which got me to thinking which Woodstock artists I've seen live, and it's a short list.  

* Tommy Shannon (who played with Johnny Winter)

* Melanie

* Joe Cocker

* Neil Young

5 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

Don't figure this was worth its own thread, but I was today years old when I discovered that Woodstock included the following jazz artists:

* Ralph Towner and Glen Moore were in Tim Hardin's band

* Paul Motian played with Arlo Guthrie

* David Sanborn and Phillip Wilson played with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band (by coincidence I was listening to Wilson on the AEC Nessa box just a couple of days ago)

Which got me to thinking which Woodstock artists I've seen live, and it's a short list.  

* Tommy Shannon (who played with Johnny Winter)

* Melanie

* Joe Cocker

* Neil Young

Juma Sultan (Aboriginal Music Society) is a (mostly) free jazz artist, though best known for playing with Jimi Hendrix @ Woodstock.

14 hours ago, felser said:

CSNY

Santana

Ten Years After

Blood Sweat and Tears

Richie Havens (3 times)

Melanie

14 hours ago, felser said:

CSNY

Santana

Ten Years After

Blood Sweat and Tears

Richie Havens (3 times)

Melanie

Neil Young

Joan Baez

Tim Hardin

The Who

Jefferson Airplane

The Band

Blood Sweat and Tears

Edited by medjuck

2 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Santana (same year as Woodstock)

Richie Havens (James Cotton Band opened)

Arlo Guthrie

Sly & the Family Stone (same year as Woodstock)

Ten Years After (Blood, Sweat &Tears on the same bill at '69 Newport Jazz Fest) 

Johnny Winter (the following night at '69 Newport Jazz)

I was too young to go, but in Cincinnati in 1969, Santana appeared as the opening act for Arlo Guthrie.  Talk about whiplash.  I saw Santana and CSNY at the Atlantic City Raceway in 1974.  That was the version of Santana with Leon Patillo and Tom Coster, incredible.  Way outplayed self-indulgent CSNY.  Also saw the original Mahavishnu Orchestra as support act for Zappa (I think John Hammond, solo and acoustic, opened, again whiplash) at the Spectrum in the early 70's, and both groups were on fire, but especially Mahavishnu.

9 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I would love to travel back in time to August 1969...and hang out with the hippies' parents in their mid-century moderne homes, sipping scotch and listening to Sinatra.

They were gulping Maalox and listening to Walter Cronkite.  1969 was not pretty.

Edited by felser