• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a feeling he wasn't doing so well since he was always so active online, and then, not. It's sad he died alone.

We had some pleasant offline exchanges and even though he and I had many disagreements back in the day when you could discuss politics here, he was a gentlemen and usually maintained a sense of humor.

I thank him for the insight and stories shared.

RIP Chris.

Edited by catesta

Threads merged.

So sorry to hear this. He contributed so much to the music in so many ways for so long. Not just inside the industry, but as an individual citizen of the community. He could be a contentious cuss, for sure, but with real experience like his, I think he was entitled to his opinions, and to speak them as he chose. He saw so much of what most of us just heard about...whatever his grievances, he had his reasons. And his generosity, his willingness to pass on what he saw, immense, the benefits to us, incalculable.

There is no substitute for that kind of experience. None.

RIP, and gratitude aplenty.

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Threads merged.

So sorry to hear this. He contributed so much to the music in so many ways for so long. Not just inside the industry, but as an individual citizen of the community. He could be a contentious cuss, for sure, but with real experience like his, I think he was entitled to his opinions, and to speak them as he chose. He saw so much of what most of us just heard about...whatever his grievances, he had his reasons. And his generosity, his willingness to pass on what he saw, immense, the benefits to us, incalculable.

There is no substitute for that kind of experience. None.

RIP, and gratitude aplenty.

Agreed 100%.

I'm very sorry to hear this.  Like most of us, I enjoyed his contributions to our numerous discussions here and previously on the BNBB.  He was a bit crusty, but also told some fascinating stories.

Rest in Peace, Christiern.

Chris was very nice to me in private discussions here. 

I wonder if he would chuckle if he knew that so many messages about him on Facebook and other places are of the “he was crusty but I still liked his comments” variety. 

Edited by Hot Ptah

Awfully sorry to hear this. 

I had quite a few off-board exchanges with him in the past on Bessie and early jazz in general. He was always very kind a cooperative with me, and always an amazing source of knowledge.

He will be missed within the jazz community.

Rest in peace, Chris. 

One of his greatest achievements was his reign as Station Manager of WBAI, the Pacifica station in NYC. During his tenure, it was the leading cultural institution in the arts, sciences and politics, and he brought many of the greatest minds of the times to the airwaves of its listening area. RIP, Chris.