Kenny Burrell

jlhoots

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Is it political to point out that the health care system in the USA is insane? 

Yes it is. Insanity is a human trait, and where humans go, politics are sure to follow.

You should say it's just plain fucked up, period.

And anybody who would disagree with that, THEY'RE insane.

42 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

You're willing to give money to a scumbag thief because you owe Kenny so much?

It's Jordi Puhol Syndrome!!!!

5 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

That's bizarre logic. You're willing to give money to a scumbag thief because you owe Kenny so much?

It's kind of disturbing that apparently the Jazz Foundation was behind this all along and yet it still got bungled. I would have hoped that an organization devoted to aiding the needy would operate more efficiently. At the very least the foundation could lent its imprimatur to the gofundme campaign. 

I mentioned that they checked it out on a jazz guitar forum, and everything was okay. Now why don't you go find Linda Blair and Pazuzou and leave me alone, or I'll call Dimmy.and  get your ass exorcized again.

To me, something still seems off about this. I'm not saying there is not some truth, hell maybe it's all true, but...

“UCLA was unaware of Katherine Burrell’s crowdfunding activity on behalf of herself and husband, Kenny. UCLA is concerned and is looking into the circumstances of this matter. Kenny Burrell is a Distinguished Professor of Music and Global Jazz Studies at UCLA’s Herb Alpert School of Music. Professor Burrell is currently on sabbatical, and is scheduled to return to UCLA for the Spring Quarter in March 2020. He remains a full-time faculty member with related compensation and health benefits.”

Edited by catesta

6 hours ago, catesta said:

To me, something still seems off about this. I'm not saying there is not some truth, hell maybe it's all true, but...

“UCLA was unaware of Katherine Burrell’s crowdfunding activity on behalf of herself and husband, Kenny. UCLA is concerned and is looking into the circumstances of this matter. Kenny Burrell is a Distinguished Professor of Music and Global Jazz Studies at UCLA’s Herb Alpert School of Music. Professor Burrell is currently on sabbatical, and is scheduled to return to UCLA for the Spring Quarter in March 2020. He remains a full-time faculty member with related compensation and health benefits.”

...and health benefits?  That seems like an attempt to at least partially refute some aspects of the original claims.

And yet, re-reading the original "outreach" message again just now (the one in the very first post), it seems possible that all of it is true (or largely so), even if Kenny does "remain a full-time faculty member, with related compensation and health benefits".  I don't think the two statements are diametrically at odds.

Not pointing fingers, nor am I making any wild claims about the aims or intentions of the Burrells, nor of UCLA.

Hey at least UCLA didn't say that as far as they knew, he wasn't married to a Katherine. 

Seriously though Distinguished Professors aren't making less than six figures and he didn't lose his salary for being on sabbatical. And health benefits are probably pretty sweet too.  The part about the living situation and bad consequences of identity fraud/loss of savings could all be true but "can't afford his medical supplies" did not ring true to me from the start, especially now knowing that UCLA says he's still on the faculty, still getting paid.

I do hope this gets straightened out soon and we really know for sure. 

Yeah, this situation seems quite bizarre though UCLA health benefits -- like, who knows, not all institutions have great health coverage, especially for the aged. I could totally see their claims getting denied and, while dealing with fraud, it being too much to follow up on and get figured out. Not to mention the fact that very sane and well off people go bankrupt in this country because of health care costs.

Having benefits does not mean that there is not out-of-pocket expense involved. In most plans, though, there is a cap on how much OOP expense is incurred before being paid at 100%. Without knowing the specifics of the plan, it's hard to tell what the specifics are.

So, yes, both scenarios are possible.

20 hours ago, mjzee said:

Another weird thing: no public statement from Kenny about this.

On the Go Fund Me page just now:

A Message from Kenny Burrell

Dear Friends,

I sincerely want to thank all of you who have donated to our “Gofundme” request. It is very much needed at this time. Your loving gifts have inspired us to become more giving and respectful of our fellow human beings. As God has shown us, when we help others, we also help ourselves.

In terms of the music, I am extremely grateful for all of your expressions of love and appreciation. I feel encouraged to continue to do my best.

I am also so very thankful for the help and care of my loving and devoted wife, who has worked hard to maintain a decent life for us, despite my medical setbacks and the legal and financial issues we are facing.

Thank you, everyone, for helping us get through this crisis. We will always be grateful to you for your love and caring.

With much love and good wishes,

Kenny Burrell

Additionally, they added:
Update from Kenny and Katherine:

The GoFundMe post described many of the issues facing us, and we would like to specify how your support will help. We will use funds from the campaign to pay for medical expenses related to Kenny's care that aren't covered by insurance. We will also pay credit card bills that have accumulated and become unmanageable. We will use the funds to pay legal bills and put the funds toward any judgment against us, in the event that that occurs. We also will use the funds to stabilize our housing situation, including possible relocation expenses.

Again, we are overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support. We cannot thank you enough for your life-changing kindness, compassion, and generosity.
Edited by Kevin Bresnahan