Kenny Burrell

jlhoots

JazzTimes just tweeted this:

The Kenny Burrell GoFundMe saga has gotten a lot stranger. Geoff Edgers' report this week in the Washington Post—in which JazzTimes figures prominently—reveals many more possible layers to the story, and some of them are quite distressing.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Admittedly I am not familar with typical US suburban neighborhood manners...

Typically, we all carry guns (pistols in the summer, rifles in the winter), piss in yards, shit in trashcans, curse at small children, and eat raw squirrels while they're still alive (if we can catch them, but that's a tale for another time). At least we do in my neighborhood, which is pretty typical.

Kenny Burrell being an artist and such, I can see why he might want to stay inside, away from al that. Although, if I'm being honest, he was in town a while back and we did share some squirrel out back in the alley before his wife came and got him in the car to get his ass to the airport. She's vegan or some shit, and she was really giving him hell about the squirrel. Poor guy. But you know what I say, life is short, enjoy it while you can.

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Typically, we all carry guns (pistols in the summer, rifles in the winter), piss in yards, shit in trashcans, curse at small children, and eat raw squirrels while they're still alive (if we can catch them, but that's a tale for another time). At least we do in my neighborhood, which is pretty typical.

Well, a wee bit more seriously and just to explain ... ;) - I am under the impression that fences set up to separate adjacent suburban plots (even and particularly if there is "just" lawn all around each house) are much more common here (and not just in Germany) than they seem to be in the US (or so it is being told). Which often does make a difference as far as casual contact between neighbors is concerned.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Kenny Burrell being an artist and such, I can see why he might want to stay inside, away from al that. Although, if I'm being honest, he was in town a while back and we did share some squirrel out back in the alley before his wife came and got him in the car to get his ass to the airport. She's vegan or some shit, and she was really giving him hell about the squirrel. Poor guy. But you know what I say, life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Aw, shucks, podner, don’t tell them outsiders, our lil secrets. 

My wife read the Washington Post article over the weekend ("Hey, have you heard about this Kenny Burrell guy?"), and she thought the whole thing was beyond weird, to the point of being suspicious.  Suspicious of what specifically, it's hard to know.  But I completely agree, it's beyond weird.

I wouldn't consider asking for my money back.  Kenny Burrell is certainly welcome to the smallish amount of money I sent (or even more) just by asking.  However, I am quite concerned by the weirdness that seems to be going on around him, his health and welfare status, the actions and health of his wife, and how someone with his income, insurance, etc. has apparently become broke or near broke. 

It is totally conceivable that a major illness can make anyone that isn't one of the 1% "broke." My wife's two years of cancer treatment cost more than fifteen times my then annual salary; had she not had excellent (University of Texas employee) insurance and had her father not helped us out with money to also have an apartment and living expenses near the M.D. Anderson Research Center for nearly a year while still maintaining our home and my job in Austin, I'd have gone VERY "broke."

I hope all is on the up and up and that somehow Mr. Burrell finds health.

Now wait a Minute, 

Just for someone who is not so much Insider to understand all the Postings: 

I´d like to know

a) Kenny Burrel is still around ? 

b) is he really ill or is this a fake announcement ?

c) if he is really ill, was it really his wife who asked for donations ?