jlhoots

Kenny Burrell

129 posts in this topic

ok i read it, it sounds like elder abuse is taking place- this partner of his sounds like the crux this issue

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

The section in which KB lists all the people who have supposedly seen him is weird and sad. TBH it sounds like it was written by his wife to try to convince people that he's not dead/imprisoned/comatose. If KB did in fact write it, it indicates his mental state is so far gone that he can't even upload a video to Youtube to reassure the hundreds of people who have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to him.

I just caught up on the latest details and as someone said here, it's a sad situation, no matter how you look at it. It's a cliche but it's no fun getting old.  Regarding the statement put out by KB, it sounds as if it was written by a lawyer.  In case anyone asks why I think it was written by an attorney, I just have a feeling it was.

Like Dmitry, I'm starting to question whether I should have made a donation. As he said, live and learn. 

7 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

The section in which KB lists all the people who have supposedly seen him is weird and sad. TBH it sounds like it was written by his wife to try to convince people that he's not dead/imprisoned/comatose. If KB did in fact write it, it indicates his mental state is so far gone that he can't even upload a video to Youtube to reassure the hundreds of people who have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to him.

Yes, sad and weird. Too many mentions of how great the care of Katherine has been and too much defense of the wife for me to believe she isn't the one that either wrote the statement in JazzTimes or worded it. It's also way too similar in style to the GoFundMe plea.

Edited by catesta

2 hours ago, catesta said:

Yes, sad and weird. Too many mentions of how great the care of Katherine has been and too much defense of the wife for me to believe she isn't the one that either wrote the statement in JazzTimes or worded it. It's also way too similar in style to the GoFundMe plea.

I hate to say it, but I agree that the whole thing is just weird, weird, weird.

I'm not going to make any pronouncements, or level any charges (whether they're baseless, or not, who knows).

I will say that I'm glad the press is continuing to follow up on this, and presumably will further-continue to.

After all this drama, and all the weirdness, I do think the donors (at least) deserve more solid, verifiable information.  I'll continue to hold my tongue, and not engage in too much speculation (at least in print), until more facts are known.

7 hours ago, Brad said:

Like Dmitry, I'm starting to question whether I should have made a donation. As he said, live and learn. 

https://pages.gofundme.com/guarantee-policy/

Donors may receive a refund (or other resolution as described below) when they donate to a campaign in one of the Covered Countries (a “Covered Campaign”) and the campaign organizer or beneficiary (if one exists) of the Covered Campaign commits a Misuse. “Misuse” means any of the following:

1. The campaign organizer does not deliver funds to the Intended Beneficiary (as defined below);
  2. The campaign’s content is inaccurate with respect to a material fact about the campaign organizer, beneficiary, or campaign that would induce a reasonable donor to donate to the campaign; and
  3. The campaign organizer or beneficiary is formally charged with a crime directly related to their actions, omissions, and/or misrepresentations made by that individual in the campaign.

The catch: do we know enough to invoke any of these reasons yet?

Umm, yeah, we really don't.

I'll admit I read the JT letter first before posting. Had to figure out which browser I could use to access it. ;)

I am not nearly as negative about this situation as many seem to be. I don't think its fraud. I do think they need the money but I also think that something "not right" is going on in that apartment. But is it elder abuse? Or two confused people living like hermits for whatever reason.

And I don't find the list of people who have seen Kenny to be sad or anything like that. A blanket statement was given in the Wapo article that no one there has seen him in literally years. So given that, I would want to wrack my brain and think of the people who have seen me leave the place for medical appointments or whatever.

34 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

And I don't find the list of people who have seen Kenny to be sad or anything like that. A blanket statement was given in the Wapo article that no one there has seen him in literally years. So given that, I would want to wrack my brain and think of the people who have seen me leave the place for medical appointments or whatever.

That's true. Still, I think if you really wanted to convince people you were alive and well, you would simply make an appearance. Unless you were Jesus.

I don’t think we know enough to know what the situation is. I’m certainly not going to ask for a refund until we know more. 

19 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

This is what baffled me most when I read that part. Admittedly I am not familar with typical US suburban neigborhood manners ;) but what would anybody be doing and thinking if he told a story about how others (neighbors or the postman or whoever) saw him standing by the garage or nodding or waving at them from across the street or whatever? Would he able to know and say they SAW him anyway or would he, honestly, just be able to say they MUST HAVE SEEN him? Who would write something like that about HIMSELF? Wouldn't it have been much more normal to just be up and out and about and just talk to the neighbors every now and then, no matter how briefly, and then remember and point out THAT? Or was KB known to be that much of a recluse for so long? And if he is, it still sems very weird to me that ANYBODY would write about HIMSELF like that. To me, that just "don't fit".

Edited by Big Beat Steve

JazzTimes just tweeted this:

The Kenny Burrell GoFundMe saga has gotten a lot stranger. Geoff Edgers' report this week in the Washington Post—in which JazzTimes figures prominently—reveals many more possible layers to the story, and some of them are quite distressing.

31 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Admittedly I am not familar with typical US suburban neighborhood manners...

Typically, we all carry guns (pistols in the summer, rifles in the winter), piss in yards, shit in trashcans, curse at small children, and eat raw squirrels while they're still alive (if we can catch them, but that's a tale for another time). At least we do in my neighborhood, which is pretty typical.

Kenny Burrell being an artist and such, I can see why he might want to stay inside, away from al that. Although, if I'm being honest, he was in town a while back and we did share some squirrel out back in the alley before his wife came and got him in the car to get his ass to the airport. She's vegan or some shit, and she was really giving him hell about the squirrel. Poor guy. But you know what I say, life is short, enjoy it while you can.

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Typically, we all carry guns (pistols in the summer, rifles in the winter), piss in yards, shit in trashcans, curse at small children, and eat raw squirrels while they're still alive (if we can catch them, but that's a tale for another time). At least we do in my neighborhood, which is pretty typical.

Well, a wee bit more seriously and just to explain ... ;) - I am under the impression that fences set up to separate adjacent suburban plots (even and particularly if there is "just" lawn all around each house) are much more common here (and not just in Germany) than they seem to be in the US (or so it is being told). Which often does make a difference as far as casual contact between neighbors is concerned.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Kenny Burrell being an artist and such, I can see why he might want to stay inside, away from al that. Although, if I'm being honest, he was in town a while back and we did share some squirrel out back in the alley before his wife came and got him in the car to get his ass to the airport. She's vegan or some shit, and she was really giving him hell about the squirrel. Poor guy. But you know what I say, life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Aw, shucks, podner, don’t tell them outsiders, our lil secrets. 

35 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Too late. Them beans bin spilled ... :D

Peas, peas, peas, eating goober peas, goodness how delicious, eating goober peas :lol:

...and yet, he's not in a suburban neighbourhood, but in a condominium building, with owner-occupied units.  And therein lies some of the problem, and revealing the whole situation...their unit is causing major problems to the owners of a separate unit below them.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

shit in trashcans

Ooh, lookit Mr. Fancy Pants!

Edited by Captain Howdy

My wife read the Washington Post article over the weekend ("Hey, have you heard about this Kenny Burrell guy?"), and she thought the whole thing was beyond weird, to the point of being suspicious.  Suspicious of what specifically, it's hard to know.  But I completely agree, it's beyond weird.

I wouldn't consider asking for my money back.  Kenny Burrell is certainly welcome to the smallish amount of money I sent (or even more) just by asking.  However, I am quite concerned by the weirdness that seems to be going on around him, his health and welfare status, the actions and health of his wife, and how someone with his income, insurance, etc. has apparently become broke or near broke. 

1 hour ago, Al in NYC said:

.... has apparently become broke or near broke. 

Well, that's the question, isn't it?  HAS he, or is this some sort of a scam, perpetrated by someone close to him.  It would be salutary if Mr. Burrell made an independent public appearance.

It is totally conceivable that a major illness can make anyone that isn't one of the 1% "broke." My wife's two years of cancer treatment cost more than fifteen times my then annual salary; had she not had excellent (University of Texas employee) insurance and had her father not helped us out with money to also have an apartment and living expenses near the M.D. Anderson Research Center for nearly a year while still maintaining our home and my job in Austin, I'd have gone VERY "broke."

I hope all is on the up and up and that somehow Mr. Burrell finds health.