Where Is Carlos Ward?

Justin V

• 1 year later...

A Sam Rivers aficionado once shared Carlos Ward's contact. I never passed through the gentle voicemail to share my appreciation and order Set for 2 Dons that I still have not listened to.

The last two recorded shows I have listened with Ward are from a Sant'Anna Arresi Jazz Festival back in 2007-ish for a tribute to Don Cherry and a concert lead by Kip Hanrahan at about the same time.

I Love his sound and the way he develops his ideas.

Edited by aparxa

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Listened to his Leo release 'Lito' last week, stands up well

I’ve been searching for ‘Lito’ (specifically on CD) for a good 15 years! - which I first learned of because of Woody Shaw being on that date (a piano-less quartet).

Never have found one, I’m afraid (I do have a burn of it, somewhere).

4 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’ve been searching for ‘Lito’ (specifically on CD) for a good 15 years! - which I first learned of because of Woody Shaw being on that date (a piano-less quartet).

Never have found one, I’m afraid (I do have a burn of it, somewhere).

You might want to watch the DIscogs page: https://www.discogs.com/Carlos-Ward-Quartet-Feat-Woody-Shaw-Lito/release/4238572 . One copy was sold there for a modest €12 a month ago. 

I bought it Italy in 2002 and thought it was actually not that good. Ward is playing better on the Blackwell dates. There's definitely better Shaw out there. Sold it to someone on this forum a few years ago. Curious why it was deleted from the Leo catalog. 

Don't forget Ward with Cecil Taylor, Bologna and Vienna concerts on Leo. Lyons he is not, but he's holding pretty well. I also like his two duets with Karl Berger from the Berger's "Conversations" album, the flute one in particular. 

Edited by Д.Д.

23 hours ago, Joe said:

Wherever he is, hope he is doing well.

A handful somewhat obscure releases which show off his talents quite nicely.

image.jpg?c=rXuBN4ND5iZXipBGfTRXHZhUoDg0

R-1288312-1351189976-6509.jpeg.jpg

image.jpg?c=1iNTRAhuewXbaP25jqlsjypQg_7i

image.jpg?c=CPrgVcTkWP6US8jVp6ECyQSijaXJ 

Owned all of them once. Sold on in harder times...shame.  Hopefully someone's enjoying them.

• 1 month later...