Jimmy Giuffre 3-Live in Graz 1961

walt

Hotdamn!!.More live Giuffre 3 from their 1961 tour of Europe.I think this session was available as a boot but it's a gas to have this out legit (i assume it's legit,Hat Art releases usually are).Ordered from Squidco but it'll be available elsewhere, i'm sure.

Tried to post the Squidco page link for this release but it didn't work, probably my fault.It's listed on Squidco as "Just in stock".

Edited by walt

34 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Yeah, I read this. Does not really shed any light how this fits into the sale of Hat back catalog (and, IIRC, the unreleased master tapes with a few exceptions (e.g. Joe McPhee) where masters and all rights were transferred directly to the artists) to OUTHERE a couple of years ago. 

10 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Yeah, I read this. Does not really shed any light how this fits into the sale of Hat back catalog (and, IIRC, the unreleased master tapes with a few exceptions (e.g. Joe McPhee) where masters and all rights were transferred directly to the artists) to OUTHERE a couple of years ago. 

There was a statement by Uehlinger earlier on the Hat website confirming he was cutting ties with OUTHERE .... can`t find it there anymore though ....

On 5/12/2019 at 9:19 PM, soulpope said:

There was a statement by Uehlinger earlier on the Hat website confirming he was cutting ties with OUTHERE .... can`t find it there anymore though ....

Yes, I remember that one. Initially it was stated that the label would keep releasing new stuff (as well as archive recordings) under the OUTHERE ownership with Uehlinger's involvement. Then Uehlinger mentioned that he terminates his partnership with OUTHERE, no details were provided. Now he is going on his own keeping the HatHut name and releasing, among other things, archive recordings (which, it is difficult for me to imagine, were not a subject of his agreement with OUTHERE). If I were in his shoes I would at least change the label name. I am obviously not privy to the details of the Uehlinger  / OUTHERE agreement, but he might be inviting a "cease and desist" fun here.       

Edited by Д.Д.

Are there more pictures of Carla Bley included? The way she's parting her hair in that photo is TOTALLY ruling!

So wait - there is no way to order this yet? It is not yet actually released?

Carla Bley's hair aside, I have a tremendous desire to hear the band.

As have I, now. Thanks!

11 hours ago, walt said:

Tried to post the Squidco page link for this release but it didn't work, probably my fault.It's listed on Squidco as "Just in stock".

Maybe this works now:

http://www.squidco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=1fd4ba6dc0df31ef685ecc4b229486d7&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=27400&Store_Code=S&search=giuffre&offset=&filter_cat=0&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=0&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

On 5/13/2019 at 8:40 AM, colinmce said:

Annette & L'Heure Bleue are both great if you don't have them.

Edited by jlhoots

On 12.5.2019 at 9:34 PM, Д.Д. said:

Yes, I remember that one. Initially it was stated that the label would keep releasing new stuff (as well as archive recordings) under the OUTHERE ownership with Uehlinger's involvement. The Uehlinger mentioned that he terminates his partnership with OUTHERE, no details were provided. Now he is going on his own keeping the HatHut name and releasing, among other things, archive recordings (which, it is difficult for me to imagine, were not a subject of his agreement with OUTHER). If I were in his shoes, I would at least change the label name. I am obviously not privy to details of the Uehlinger  / OUTHERE agreement, but he might be inviting a "cease and desist" fun here.       

I'm not sure I got the whole story right, but it seems:

- Uehlinger sold his entire catalogue (with some exceptions such as McPhee) to the Outhere group, which seems to try and get a foot into jazz on a broader basis (in classical, many of their releases - through labels such as alpha, Ricercar, aeon etc. - are tops, in jazz they're negligeable and will likely remain so) - he got a substantial amount of money for that (not sure who made the better deal, he or Outhere ...)

- Uehlinger was not pleased by how Outhere handled its chores, there was some kind of argument (on money, but isn't that always what rows are about?), which was settled eventually (and Uehlinger put that up on his site, too, after he had published that announcement about Outhere being crooks or however he had worded it, I don't remember and didn't catch it live)

- Uehlinger has started his own new label (or series still running under the Hat Hut moniker), "ezz-thetic", and one of the first releases, which was scheduled in 2017 already, still on Hat/hatOLOGY at that time, is the Giuffre Graz recording (which has made the rounds ... I think it was one of the very first ROIOs I ever got, thanks to a kind person here). The design for the new ezz-thetic releases has changed a bit, with a white frame added to the usual grey/orange design: https://hathut.com

- I'm not sure who owns what exactly, as Outhere runs a promo-blurb that sounds like Uehlinger and gives no specifics about the deal or the takeover at all: https://outhere-music.com/en/labels/hathut/about - possibly Outhere owns the recordings and is somehow allowed to still release them under the name Hat Hut, but Uehlinger still owns that name? On his site, there's this: "Hat Hut Records Ltd. established 1975, still owned by Werner X. Uehlinger restarts independently introducing the series „ezz-thetics“ in honoring the exceptional LP of George Russell and the great soli of Eric Dolphy on it." - which indeed doesn't help a bit in understanding what's going on.

- Either way, it does seem that not like FMP which was just shut down, without anyone being allowed to market the great legacy of recordings (what a shame!), there's still some light ... I still have a faint hope of seeing the missing half of Braxton's Willisau set being reissued, eventually ...

Plus, I do wonder wtf this is supposed to be:

9666287-ezz_thetics_1102_cov_600x540px-d

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

All I know is that Squidco do hella good work. My copy just arrived and is packed like a pro!

Mine is on the way from Barcelona ... too bad about shipping stuff around all the time, but with no stores left (or just ones that would as 35$ for such a disc and take a month or more to cater it to me), I have no other options alas.

As a reminder, Giuffre 3 Bremen and Stuttgart 1961 recordings together with some unreleased tracks were reissued a few years ago on EMANEM: http://www.emanemdisc.com/E5208.html   

51DBopd2tYL.jpg 

1 hour ago, king ubu said:

- Either way, it does seem that not like FMP which was just shut down, without anyone being allowed to market the great legacy of recordings (what a shame!), there's still some light ... I still have a faint hope of seeing the missing half of Braxton's Willisau set being reissued, eventually ...

You can (legally) download the entire FMP catalog via Destination-Out bandcamp: https://destination-out.bandcamp.com/