Who is on piano?

Hardbopjazz

I was going to say the guy in this video, but the lack of glasses tells me I might well be wrong.

If I'm RIGHT though (and they're one in the same), I won't mention who this is (in the video), just to keep the game going.

And if I'm WRONG, then QUESTION #2:  who can ID the guy on piano in this video?

Or based on the glasses, maybe this guy?  (Who I'm not aware ever played with Max.)

EDIT:  This is Phineas Newborn, BTW.  But I guess it isn't him in the mystery photo, since our esteemed thread starter hasn't chimed in to say it's him.

phineasnewbornjr2276814171_cf5302f6a911.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

4 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

i dont think its ramsey- is it Hassan?

Don't think so -- or at least non of the pics of Hasaan that I can find on-line have him in glasses.

But if it was someone who SOUNDED quite a bit like Hassan, but wore glasses, then here's your man:

R-2819928-1302491651.jpeg.jpg

NOT that I'm suggesting it's actually Valdo. ^_^

Who else is known for wearing glassesI think that's gotta be the key -- or at least I think(?) we can rule out people who Google image-searches don't turn up even a single image of said people (search keys) with glasses.

For instance, I can't find even a single picture of Mal Waldron with glasses (at any point in his entire life). So as much as it could be him logically-speaking -- I just don't think it is (because of the glasses thing).

Almost certainly that's Ronnie Matthews in the photo. Sonny and Max were on the same concert bill in Graz, Austria on November 12, 1966, and Matthews was the pianist with Max's band on the gig. Matthews wore glasses in those days -- see the cover of his "Doin' the Thang." That's Freddie Hubbard on the right holding the trumpet -- he was also in Max's band on the concert. (BTW, there is a bootleg of Sonny playing three tunes with Jymie Merrit and Max from that night. One of them is "Lover" at a super-fast tempo, though it sounds even swifter on some of the issues I've heard because the tape is running so fast that at times Sonny sounds like he's playing alto. Caveat emptor.)

Coda: The pianist on the video is Coleridge Taylor Perkinson.

Edited by Mark Stryker

32 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

Almost certainly that's Ronnie Matthews in the photo. Sonny and Max were on the same concert bill in Graz, Austria on November 12, 1966, and Matthews was the pianist with Max's band on the gig. Matthews wore glasses in those days -- see the cover of his "Doin' the Thang." That's Freddie Hubbard on the right holding the trumpet -- he was also in Max's band on the concert. (BTW, there is a bootleg of Sonny playing three tunes with Jymie Merrit and Max from that night. One of them is "Lover" at a super-fast tempo, though it sounds even swifter on some of the issues I've heard because the tape is running so fast that at times Sonny sounds like he's playing alto. Caveat emptor.)

Coda: The pianist on the video is Coleridge Taylor Perkinson.

At one point, Sonny was selling downloads on his website (sonnyrollins.com).  I nabbed that download of "Lover."  I don't remember him offering the other 2 tunes.

The guessing is over. The photo was taken by  David Redfer who is from London.

From the joint gig by the Max Roach Quintet with Sonny Rollins in Reading, England, and broadcast by the BBC as part of their "Jazz Goes to College Series". Personnel is: Sonny Rollins, tenor sax; Freddie Hubbard, trumpet; Ronnie Mathews, piano; Jymie Merritt, acoustic double bass; Max Roach, drums. Date would be November 6, 1966.
Given that Rollins and Roach were leaders of their own groups, and since many musicians traveled to Reading from London to attend the gig, it may have been a one-off.

13 minutes ago, Hardbopjazz said:

The guessing is over. The photo was taken by  David Redfer who is from London.

From the joint gig by the Max Roach Quintet with Sonny Rollins in Reading, England, and broadcast by the BBC as part of their "Jazz Goes to College Series". Personnel is: Sonny Rollins, tenor sax; Freddie Hubbard, trumpet; Ronnie Mathews, piano; Jymie Merritt, acoustic double bass; Max Roach, drums. Date would be November 6, 1966.
Given that Rollins and Roach were leaders of their own groups, and since many musicians traveled to Reading from London to attend the gig, it may have been a one-off.

I'll bet the audio of this BBC performance might still exist.  There's a couple Horace Silver 5tet things from that same "Jazz Goes to College Series" -- both from 1966 (iirc) -- that were telecast, and the audio (only) circulates in trading circles.

6 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I'll bet the audio of this BBC performance might still exist.  There's a couple Horace Silver 5tet things from that same "Jazz Goes to College Series" -- both from 1966 (iirc) -- that were telecast, and the audio (only) circulates in trading circles.

I have the audio.