New Francis Wolff photography book is out.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BK01

This beautifully designed 168-page hardcover book contains over 150 Francis Wolff photographs, beautifully print. Many of them are previously unpublished in any form. The 11.5 inch-square book was produced by Elemental Music in Barcelona. It includes text in English, Spanish and French. 

I just placed my order.

12 hours ago, Coda said:

I didn't see any sample photos in the link, could you point me to it?   I wanted to see if it was different from the other Blue Note book released in 2015

51lVSgoR71L._SX367_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg  

I have this one, too. I assume a reason to buy the new one is because "Many of them are previously unpublished in any form." 

On 5/15/2019 at 3:38 PM, Dmitry said:

I order from Mosaic, but I don't like the title.

"Jazz Images" doesn't appeal to me. It's just too worn out at this point. Once I peruse this tome [remember Hardbop?!], I'll see about an alternate take on a clever title.

Who cares about the title? Are you going to stare at the cover or enjoy the photography within?

Actually, I can stare at that cover for hours and be content to never open the book! Wayne in shirtsleeves with his case, on the street (on the corner!?!?!?!) OUTSIDE, dammit, OUTSIDE, I don't need no more inside the studio pictures myself, but that? That is GOLD!!!!

I've long thought about picking up several of the Francis Wolff books of jazz photography, but I've always assumed (rightly? - wrongly?) that there was going to be a LOT of cross-over between all of them - ????  What I don't need is 5 books, with 1/3rd to 1/2 of each book duplicated across more than one book.  Our little 630 sq-ft apartment here in DC has got too much stuff in it already.

Aren't there something like 4 or 5 different books of his stuff out there?  I know of at least two not mentioned in this thread already (the second of which has a color-photo on the cover, iirc -- or at least maybe 30% of the photos in the book are color, from various late-60's sessions).

So there's those two, plus the two in this thread.  And isn't there a 5th one I'm thinking of? - but I can't remember enough about it to describe it.

I'll have to do some searching on-line, and back up what I'm trying to say...

EDIT:  My point is that I would gladly buy one or two books (or even perhaps 3), if I knew there wasn't a ton of cross-over/duplication between these multiple Wolff photo collections that have been published.  Anyone have any advice there?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Actually, I can stare at that cover for hours and be content to never open the book! Wayne in shirtsleeves with his case, on the street (on the corner!?!?!?!) OUTSIDE, dammit, OUTSIDE, I don't need no more inside the studio pictures myself, but that? That is GOLD!!!!

That photo of Wayne on the street was taken in April 1964, the same month he recorded "Night Dreamer" -- so I assume this was a shoot for the cover and then the design went in a different direction and it never got used. Amazing photo. Wayne in the wild.

Edited by Mark Stryker

I would say - very roughly - one out of four images appear in those books. I should add that the new book is way better.

My copy is the 2014 édition from Flammarion France. Beautiful book with fine prints. Printed in Slovénie. Very well researched.

Have enjoyed it numerous times since it came out.

One minor complaint: There is no photo from the Cannonball/Miles 'Somethin' Else' session.

9 hours ago, romualdo said:

How much overlap with these two volumes, 1995 & 2000 publications respectively??

Wolff books.jpg

I don't think this one below has been mentioned either (3/4 of the book are Wolff, the rest is Katz and while the Katz photos aren't bad at all they just somehow lack the sharpness of the Wolff pics).

http://www.jazzprezzo.de/bluenote.htm

So if I got you right, Brownie, the "new" book promoted here had already been published by Flammarion in 2014 and about 25% of the contents have been around in other Wolff books?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

So if I got you right, Brownie, the "new" book promoted here had already been published by Flammarion in 2014 and about 25% of the contents have been around in other Wolff books?

You got me right...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16-5-2019 at 11:47 PM, JSngry said:

That very same picture is used for the cover of the recent reissue of the "Wayning Moments" LP on the Spanish Jazz Images label. In fact, it's part of a whole series  (the Francis Wolff Collection) reusing photographs from the book. (Remember the "Jean-Pierre Leloir"- and "William Claxton"-series on the same label?)

I don't know about the books, but (most of?) the LP's on the label are at best grey-area releases. 

Edited by corto maltese

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/05/2019 at 4:57 PM, Brad said:

I’m not too inclined to purchase this. 

I followed this route too. Since I don't need the last Wolff unpublished picture. His cover pics are more than enough for me. And in this respect I've a very good and very recommendable BN cover book I got in the early 2000s, I think. It's called The cover art of BN by Graham Marsh and Glyn Callingham, but I don't know if it's still available.

On 17/05/2019 at 6:00 AM, romualdo said:

Wolff books.jpg

On the other hand I also have the right one from this picture, which I got heavily discounted from TrueBlue. This book I don't like so much, because the pics are mainly color, from the late sixties, as mentioned above (I assume it's the same book). And I don't think this period is the most interesting in the BN story (Hank Mobley in a turtleneck sweater). And it's not very well bound, pages are already falling apart.