Percy France Discography Help

Dan Gould

Anyone have  Bruyninckx handy? I am told that he lists some Percy France recordings in Europe ... if someone can check and indicate if these would just be Doggett recordings of King tracks or possibly something else I'd be most appreciative. 

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

No idea I am afraid Mike was only told that there were "possible" dates in Europe.  He did a black and blue date in the 70s led by Oliver jackson but not sure if all were recorded in France or not? Thanks!

Lord shows the Oliver Jackson Black & Blue date as being recorded in NY, FWIW.

I don't see anything by France in Europe in Bruyninkx.

18 minutes ago, brownie said:

The Lord discography lists an Oliver Jackson LP on Black & Blue 'Oliver Jackson' présents Le Quartet' with Percy France, Leonard Gaskin and Jackson. Recorded in New York in September 1982, it says...

Yes got that one. Thanks to all ... 

OK now curious about Betty Mays because she employed Percy, his first gig.  And what a group she had - Cecil Payne, JJ and Kai, Gil Coggins on piano along with Percy. So I landed a copy of her 78 on Regal - Mays' Haze with an instrumental, Slow Rock, on the flip. 

Now I've found a copy of Yes Indeed! Women Vocalists on United, issued by Delmark when they got a hold of the United vaults. Credits verify the same band with Percy (and on clarinet which I am not hearing either in the ensembles or solos), also has a 1949 recording date like the Regal 78. 

So there are three tracks on the Delmark issue - two takes of Mays Haze (neither notated as unissued) and an 'unissued' take of Old Mill Stream.  

So now I am wondering - did Mays record Mays Haze three times, twice for United and again for Regal? Did Regal lease it from United or vice versa? Track times are slightly off but I am going to closely compare solos.

And, are there any other known recordings of Ms Mays and her Swingtet featuring Percy France?

As always, thanks in advance!

Edit to say: United Take 2 is definitely issued Regal track. And interestingly, I have to say Percy sounds better on the new-to-me take 1.

If anyone can indicate session order for Betty Mays on United/Regal I'd appreciate it!

Edited by Dan Gould

Boy it gets more confused. The Delmark comp lists November 4 1949 as recording date for the United tracks, and another online source gives the same for the Regal 78. So ... same session, right? But I also see a mention online that United Records didn't come into existence until 1951. So were all tracks for Regal, but Regal appears to have issued one 78 only while they had the recordings, and then United purchased them and issued others sometime in the 50s?  Did the entire session consist of:

Mays' Haze Takes 1 and 2

Old Mill Stream

Slow Rock (omit vocal)

?

Edited by Dan Gould

This is what Lord has for Betty Mays sessions including Percy France:

Betty Mays
[M3605-16] Betty Mays
Betty Mays (vcl) acc by Sol Amato (tp) Percy France (cl,ts) Johnny Griffin (ts) Gil Coggins (p) Arthur Phipps (b) George James (d) 
New York, September 27, 1949
    The nearness of you    Abbey 3007
    Until the real thing comes along         -

Betty Mays
[M3606-16] Betty Mays
Betty Mays And Her Swingtet: 
Betty Mays (vcl) acc by Bernie Glow (tp) Kai Winding, J.J. Johnson (tb) Percy France (cl,ts) Cecil Payne (bar) Gil Coggins (p) Arthur Phipps (b) George James (d) 
New York, November 4, 1949
1110    May's haze    Regal 3243
1111    Slow rock (inst)         -
    Old mill stream    (unissued)
    Why fool yourself         -
    Gimme a pound         -

33 minutes ago, jazztrain said:

This is what Lord has for Betty Mays sessions including Percy France:

Betty Mays
[M3605-16] Betty Mays
Betty Mays (vcl) acc by Sol Amato (tp) Percy France (cl,ts) Johnny Griffin (ts) Gil Coggins (p) Arthur Phipps (b) George James (d) 
New York, September 27, 1949
    The nearness of you    Abbey 3007
    Until the real thing comes along         -

Betty Mays
[M3606-16] Betty Mays
Betty Mays And Her Swingtet: 
Betty Mays (vcl) acc by Bernie Glow (tp) Kai Winding, J.J. Johnson (tb) Percy France (cl,ts) Cecil Payne (bar) Gil Coggins (p) Arthur Phipps (b) George James (d) 
New York, November 4, 1949
1110    May's haze    Regal 3243
1111    Slow rock (inst)         -
    Old mill stream    (unissued)
    Why fool yourself         -
    Gimme a pound         -

Thanks - so the last three are unissued, except for the fact that Lord, or your version, never caught up to the 2004 Delmark issue of United recordings which adds a take of Mays' Haze and issues Old Mill Stream. Guess I will start looking for the Abbey recording.

Can you look up Frank Fat Man Humphries?  Percy supposedly performed with him after Betty and before Doggett, and now I actually have a connection between Humphries and Mays - both recorded for Abbey Records.  There are two singles, Birmingham Bounce and Doby at the Bat (Herbie Nichols by the way on piano, supposedly!) that are actually on a comp. I had my eye on but I don't have proof that Percy is the tenor.

Thanks!

Edited by Dan Gould

11 hours ago, mikeweil said:

This is what Lord says:

c. 1950
G756 Birmingham bounce Abbey 3016
G757 Doby at the bat      -

You beat me to it!  For those who might not get the reference, Doby refers to Larry Doby, the first black Major League Baseball player in the American League (Jackie Robinson) was in the National League. 

• 2 months later...

This one?

Sir Charles Thompson
[T3035-16]
Sir Charles Thompson And The Swing Organ: 
Percy France (ts) Rudy Rutherford (cl) Sir Charles Thompson (p,org) Aaron Bell (b) J.C. Heard (d) 
New York, 1960
    Cool and easy    Col CL1364
    I get a kick out of you       -
    Robbins' nest       -
    The lady in red       -
    April love       -
    19th hole       -
    Jumpin' at Basie's       -
    I wanna love you       -
    What's new ?       -
    Oh me ! Oh my !       -
    Love is a many splendored thing       -
    Party time       -

2 hours ago, jazztrain said:

That's assuming that Lord is correct.  Not always a good assumption.

True. for my purposes there would be better "flow" if I decided its not 1960 recording date but you got to go with what you have so ... unless anyone chimes in with other info, it is what he say it is.

Well, jazzdisco.com has the following:

Sir Charles Thompson And The Swing Organ  (Columbia CL 1364)

Rudy Rutherford, clarinet; Percy France, tenor sax; Sir Charles Thompson, organ; Aaron Bell, bass; J.C. Heard, drums.

Columbia Studios, NYC, released 1959
  I Get A Kick Out Of You
  Cool And Easy
  Robbins' Nest
  Lady In Red
  April Love
  19th Hole
  Jumpin' At Basie's
  I Wanta Love You
  What's New
  Oh Me, Oh My
  Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
  Party Time

** also issued on Columbia CS 8205.

The February 1, 1960 issue of Billboard pictures the album:  https://books.google.com/books?id=BR8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=charles+thompson+and+his+swing+organ&source=bl&ots=bAH0oQxUq7&sig=ACfU3U1PtUoTWHBz31qOunCvAqRDT3tuNw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwhs6SpeXjAhXy1FkKHYLeCo44HhDoATAEegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=charles%20thompson%20and%20his%20swing%20organ&f=false

That would certainly support a 1959 recording date.  It's unlikely that Columbia would get it out that quickly.

Edited by jazztrain

11 hours ago, jazztrain said:

Well, jazzdisco.com has the following:

Sir Charles Thompson And The Swing Organ  (Columbia CL 1364)

Rudy Rutherford, clarinet; Percy France, tenor sax; Sir Charles Thompson, organ; Aaron Bell, bass; J.C. Heard, drums.

Columbia Studios, NYC, released 1959
  I Get A Kick Out Of You
  Cool And Easy
  Robbins' Nest
  Lady In Red
  April Love
  19th Hole
  Jumpin' At Basie's
  I Wanta Love You
  What's New
  Oh Me, Oh My
  Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
  Party Time

** also issued on Columbia CS 8205.

The February 1, 1960 issue of Billboard pictures the album:  https://books.google.com/books?id=BR8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=charles+thompson+and+his+swing+organ&source=bl&ots=bAH0oQxUq7&sig=ACfU3U1PtUoTWHBz31qOunCvAqRDT3tuNw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwhs6SpeXjAhXy1FkKHYLeCo44HhDoATAEegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=charles%20thompson%20and%20his%20swing%20organ&f=false

That would certainly support a 1959 recording date.  It's unlikely that Columbia would get it out that quickly.

That's what I was thinking I should look for, promo ads to see approximately when it hit stores,  and that settles it. We're back to 1959 as the recording date. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I sure hope this isn't the Percy France but its the earliest mention I've found  online - Billboard magazine August 1947. He would have been 19 years old so not entirely impossible. But I hope its not him, because the review is horrible and because now I'd have two super old records to try to find.

snip - earliest percy france.JPG