Percy France Discography Help

Dan Gould

There's an earlier reference in an advertisement in Billboard from November 10, 1945.

I tried to paste the image, but it didn't come through.

The ad says:  

Coming Soon Another Hit:  "GONDOLIER," Coupled With "IF I COULD CALL YOU MINE," with the mellow voice of SGT. PROF. BUDDY  WINLEY, with Percy France and Jerry Smith Orchestra.

Edited by jazztrain

Here's a link to the November 10, 1945 issue.  

https://mirror.thelifeofkenneth.com/sites/www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/40s/1945/BB-1945-11-10.pdf

It includes the ad mentioned above (on page 25) and also lists the forthcoming Co-Ed 210 release on page 79 under "ADVANCE RECORD RELEASES."

Edited by jazztrain

20 hours ago, jazztrain said:

Here's a link to the November 10, 1945 issue.  

https://mirror.thelifeofkenneth.com/sites/www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/40s/1945/BB-1945-11-10.pdf

It includes the ad mentioned above (on page 25) and also lists the forthcoming Co-Ed 210 release on page 79 under "ADVANCE RECORD RELEASES."

I actually did see that, shouldn't have said earliest mention really meant earliest review ... and that review is such a doozy that's what I wanted to share. Pointing out that it was once scheduled for a 1945 release makes him 17 at the time, probably even more likely to be a Percy France not the Percy France. Who knows probably played the banjo on those sides. :g 

So I stumbled across a couple of different blog postings about "picking a wedding band" by a guy named John Schaefer, who is on NY public radio for many years and has written some books about music. He actually booked Percy for his wedding.  And on one of those posts he wrote this:

Percy was an accomplished sax player – in both jazz and R&B circles.  He had released a single in the late 50s that was a minor, regional hit, back in the days when instrumentals still filled the charts, and played on some of Bill Doggett’s earlier songs.  So his band could swing. 

So I got in touch with John and asked, what the heck is this late 50s regional hit single by Percy France? There's nothing anywhere I can find ... and the guy writes back that his source was ... Phil Schaap. 

So id Phil imagine that or does he have a copy somewhere that nobody anywhere has seen? I'm actually trying to reach Phil via Facebook and his website to ask about Percy, now I've got something else to ask about too.