Horace Tapscott with the PAN AFRIKAN PEOPLES ARKESTRA and the GREAT VOICE OF UGMAA – Why Don’t You Listen? – Live at LACMA, 1998 (DarkTree, 2019)

king ubu

R-13256870-1554190323-5435.jpeg.jpg

HORACE TAPSCOTT with the PAN AFRIKAN PEOPLES ARKESTRA and the GREAT VOICE OF UGMAA
WHY DON’T YOU LISTEN? – Live at LACMA, 1998

(DarkTree DT(RS) 11, 2019)

THE PAN AFRIKAN PEOPLES ARKESTRA
MICHAEL SESSION soprano, alto, tenor saxophones
PHIL RANELIN trombone
HORACE TAPSCOTT conductor, pianist
ALAN HINES double bass
TREVOR WARE double bass
LOUIS LARGE double bass
DONALD DEAN drums
NAJITE AGINDOTAN congas
BILL MADISON percussion
DWIGHT TRIBLE vocals

THE GREAT VOICE OF UGMAA
AFIFA AMATULLAH
AMINA AMATULLAH
DONTE CHAMBERS
NDUGU “JINGLES” CHANDLER
BRENDA HEARN
CHINI KOPANO
TORRE REESE
MARIA ROSE
TINA
DENISE TRIBBLE
DWIGHT TRIBLE director
CAROLYN WHITAKER

01 | aiee! The Phantom |
02 | Caravan |
03 | Fela Fela |
04 | Why Don’t You Listen? |
05 | Little Africa |

Recorded on Friday, July 24, 1998,
at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), Los Angeles, CA
Recorded, mixed and mastered by Wayne Peet
Produced by Bertrand Gastaut for Dark Tree under exclusive license from the Horace Tapscott family
Design and layout by Marie Gastaut – Photos by Warren Berman
Liner notes by Steve Isoardi

--

Bertrand just spread the news in a mail ... he deserves your lousy money, that's for sure - if you don't have it yet, do add the Carter/Bradford (NoUTurn- Live in Pasadena, 1975) he released a few years ago! 15€ a pop, free shipping worldwide

http://www.darktree-records.com/en/horace-tapscott-with-the-pan-afrikan-peoples-arkestra-and-the-great-voice-of-ugmaa-–-why-dont-you-listen-–-live-at-lacma-1998-–-dtrs11

Edited by king ubu

11 hours ago, T.D. said:

Agreed. The recent "Live at IUCC" reissue is awesome.

Coincidentally, my copy of that was in the mail and just went into the player for the first time when the mail from Bertrand arrived ... IUCC is wonderful!

And with Bertrand being as scrupulous in choosing material as he is, I'm certain the new one will be, too!

53 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

This is CD, correct? If so, I’m definitely in.

Good point, the website does not fully specify on that link.  There are other links for buying download or CD, but those have different prices.

4 hours ago, felser said:

Good point, the website does not fully specify on that link.  There are other links for buying download or CD, but those have different prices.

I just heard back from Bertrand, who confirms that it is indeed a CD.  Given how some historical reissues are coming out as vinyl/download only these days, I wanted to make sure... placing my order right now!

36 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I just heard back from Bertrand, who confirms that it is indeed a CD.  Given how some historical reissues are coming out as vinyl/download only these days, I wanted to make sure... placing my order right now!

Just placed mine also, thanks!

23 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Vocals, "chants", what??

Is there a US source for this - maybe Squidco? They've carried Dark Tree issues, but I don't see it on their "upcoming".

Free shipping from this source.

1 hour ago, king ubu said:

Which one?

DarkTree itself includes free shipping - globally, it seems. So I don't really see any need for a broker/intermediary.

That's what I meant.  No need for Squidco or anyone like that, just get it direct from Dark Tree.

2 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Got e-mail today stating that it shipped yesterday (Monday). I had been slightly concerned (but not enough to send an e-mail query) because I received no confirm from Dark Tree at time of order (only the PayPal confirm).

It's a one-man affair, and I guess Bertrand got some orders after sending out the info - I ordered/paid right after and was hoping for a faster reply, but never mind, I'm excited about this, no matter when exactly it will arrive!