I wish I had this signed photo.

Can you date the pic?

It's the Messengers I saw in April 1961, with Timmons on piano, not Davis Jr. I think The Big Beat was their album nearest to that date - they played "Lester Left Town" at the concert. Is there an album that fits with this photo's personnel?

Edited by BillF

On 5/20/2019 at 2:45 PM, jazzbo said:

Sure looks like a Parisian club. "Batterie" may have been added (by Art or someone else) jus t to identify him as his signature is not necessarily near him, similar to how Walter Davis is identified as "piano". . . . 

I suggest the artists did it themselves.  I've often seen the same in photos of larger ensembles, especially when the signature isn't near their own image.  And, yes, it does look like a Paris club to me, too.

Photo was taken, film developed [looks like 35 mm], photograph printed, then signed by all band members...it means that all of it was done fairly quickly, depending on how long the band was around to sign the photo. The ceiling and walls on the photo suggest a cellar-type establishment. In any case, it's not the Theatre des Champs-Elysees or Olympia.