NEA Jazz Masters - 2020

Chuck Nessa

23 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Perhaps they only have funding for four.

I think this is the issue.  And I am sure that it is political, though not in the sense that healthcare or tax policy is political but in the same sense that the efforts to get Wynton his Pulitzer was political.

All of the "prestigious" awards involve processes, which by definition involve "politics". It's not like five guys named Moe show up for coffee one day and one Moe says, oh yeah, about these awards, whaddya' say we give Reggie Workman a piece this year, and all the other Moes say, yeah, that'll work. Now who else?

Googling NEA Jazz Masters brought up this really great story: https://www.joealtermanmusic.com/new-page-1

It's a great read.

Most telling was when he was talking about Yusef Yateef just before he took the stage. He wrote that he looked "very thankful that he, and especially he (an often underappreciated and under-recognized, yet more than deserving jazz master) specifically received this award before it was too late".

On 5/21/2019 at 2:33 PM, bresna said:

Harold Mabern should have gotten this a long time ago. This bugs me.

While I'm sure Dorthann Kirk has done great things for the Jazz world and a well deserved nominee, this is the first time I've heard her name.

Yeah, Mabern should be recognized. He deserves this.  

• 3 months later...

BTW - even with Trump's threats to de-fund the National Endowment For The Arts, their budget has steadily increased in each of the past 5 years.

2015 $146,021,000
2016 $147,949,000
2017 $149,849,000
2018 $152,849,000
2019 $155,000,000

And in case you are wondering, $75,000 is .048% of their budget.

8 hours ago, bertrand said:

Did anyone nominate Mabern?

This.

Also, my exposure to departmental budgets has always been that you spent every penny you have been given because "savings" are a signal that they gave you too much this year and you're letting them know that you don't need that much next year.