Who here collected any of these?

I stopped collecting stamps decades ago. I used to have quite the collection too. I think I sold it shortly after the whole industry went nuts when the Scotts price guide devalued nearly every stamp one year. They killed the value of most collections. I think I used most of my later stamps for postage, which is the only way I use postage stamps to this day.

21 hours ago, bresna said:

I stopped collecting stamps decades ago. I used to have quite the collection too. I think I sold it shortly after the whole industry went nuts when the Scotts price guide devalued nearly every stamp one year. They killed the value of most collections. I think I used most of my later stamps for postage, which is the only way I use postage stamps to this day.

Sounds like my story. I collected when I was a kid and typed up my own pages with the stamp description, etc. Stopped years ago but couldn’t sell the collection.  Just no value anymore. Stamps used to be beautiful works of art. Now, the designs are shlock. 

Don't have any of the jazz stamps, but like you, used to collect when I was growing up. Stamp collecting was a window to the world. Now it's probably just another manifestation of  OCD.

And yes, I still have my stamps. My topic was world flora and fauna.

It looks like the market correction I talked about was in 1988: https://www.nytimes.com/1988/07/24/style/stamps-just-how-much-should-it-cost.html

The gist of it is that most dealers were buying stamps at "50% of Scotts" and when Scotts adjusted their value to reflect what dealers were actually paying, dealers still said "50% of Scotts". I actually had more than one dealer offer me less than face-value for a majority of my stamp collection. I finally said, "If they're worth less than their value as postage stamps, I'll just use them for postage". It made for some cool mail back then. :)

One thing I couldn't mail were those postage due stamps. I had a bunch of those because I found out that my local post office had old, old stock. I thought they might still have value. Nope. Not worth much over face. It was a bummer.

I should have stuck with coins like my brother. He made a bunch of money when he sold his coins.

Edited by bresna

I still buy commemoratives when I go to the post office, and use them when I mail bills, etc. It’s just a fun thing to do.

They still issue stamps with musical figures.  Just bought a sheet of Marvin Gaye stamps; in the past year, I’ve bought ones of Sarah Vaughan and John Lennon.

2 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I still buy commemoratives when I go to the post office, and use them when I mail bills, etc. It’s just a fun thing to do.

They still issue stamps with musical figures.  Just bought a sheet of Marvin Gaye stamps; in the past year, I’ve bought ones of Sarah Vaughan and John Lennon.

Me too! In fact, I love buying those commemorative sheets. I bought a bunch of these ones with tropical fish:

Related image

And this one:

Related image

Somewhere, I have just one individual Charles Ives stamp from this set, which I always intended to get a (tiny) simple frame for.  Not sure where it got to -- I'm sure I bought it 10-15 years ago for about $4, when I stumbled across it in some collectibles shop of some sort.

51cb-Kt-LVL.jpg

On 5/22/2019 at 1:11 PM, Brad said:

Here's an example of the quality US stamps used to have.

IMG_0017-M.jpg

IMG_0018-M.jpg

Do you realize how politically incorrect both of these stamps would now be considered to be by the intelligencia?  Dead white males!  And Columbus!?!...topple that statue!