Complete Cuban Jam Sessions

Did not buy this so far as I have it all on different LPs or CDs - but if you have one, the remastering should be okay ..... :lol:

13 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

One year later.  Still grooving to this box set.  

Listening now with fizzy water.  I don't drink Monday-Thursday.  

Looking forward to hearing it with rum cocktails this weekend.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 3:14 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

I have a couple of the old LPs on the Panart labels, and these CDs sound much better!

I also have the CD set and can confirm that both the music and sound quality are excellent. It is a great set; highly recommened.

Now enjoying an Ancient Mariner with the Fajardo disc:

3/4 oz  freshly squeezed lime

1/2 oz fresh grapefruit juice

1/2 oz simple syrup

1/4 oz allspice dram (I use more like 1/8 oz.  A little goes a long way.)

1 oz Jamaican dark rum

1 oz Demerara rum.

Shake in a shaker with ice; pour into a highball glass over crushed ice.  Garnish with fresh mint. 

Play a wild Latin jazz or exotica album while listening.  In this case, the Fajardo disc in Complete Cuban Jam Sessions!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Now enjoying disc 5, "Descargas in Miniature," with the aforementioned Ancient Mariner:

3/4 oz  freshly squeezed lime

1/2 oz fresh grapefruit juice

1/2 oz simple syrup

1/4 oz allspice dram (I use more like 1/8 oz.  A little goes a long way.)

1 oz Jamaican dark rum

1 oz Demerara rum.

Shake in a shaker with ice; pour into a highball glass over crushed ice.  Garnish with fresh mint.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

What's in for disc 2? Enough discs to get drunk!

I just threw disc 5 in the player. Let's meet in the middle. Sans cocktail for me, as I have some more work coming up in the afternoon, involving driving.

I am off for most of this week, and in early May, I usher in Rum/Latin Jazz/Exotica season!

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

151 will fuck you up. When I drank with purpose, a double was my call upon arrival and then every break thereafter. Mission accomplished.

151 scares me, and I generally avoid it.

The thing with this particular cocktail is that this is only rum involved, 1.5 oz, along with 8 oz of crushed ice.  Many of the classic rum cocktails call for 2 or 3 oz of other rums.

However, let me tell you about one of the best uses of 151:  Amateur dentistry.

One Friday night, at about 11 pm, a crown became dislodged, and it hurt like hell.  Obviously, there were no dentist offices open at 11 pm on a Friday.

My solution?  I soaked a cotton ball in 151, placed it above the crown between my upper and lower jaw, and bit down.  I successfully popped the crown back into place, and it hasn't moved since! 

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

My solution?  I soaked a cotton ball in 151, placed it above the crown between my upper and lower jaw, and bit down.  I successfully popped the crown back into place, and it hasn't moved since! 

Ingenuity like this only comes from extreme duress and desperation. Well done! :tup 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Ingenuity like this only comes from extreme duress and desperation. Well done! :tup 

Yes!  Experiences like this remind us of how our ancestors must have survived when their asses were being chased by saber tooth tigers on the savannah! :D  

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Yes!  Experiences like this remind us of how our ancestors must have survived when their asses were being chased by saber tooth tigers on the savannah! :D  

.... with some Sabu as the perfect soundtrack!

• 7 months later...

I understand that these Panart Jam Sessions were the inspiration that prompted Al Santiago, founder of Alegre Records, to make the Alegre All Stars records.

I wish Craft would do a similar sort of box set treatment for those Alegre All Star releases. 

I think they have a similar sort of underground reputation and deserve much wider exposure.  ... But I guess you could say that about nearly everything that Charlie Palmieri did.

On 1.1.2022 at 11:34 PM, HutchFan said:

I understand that these Panart Jam Sessions were the inspiration that prompted Al Santiago, founder of Alegre Records, to make the Alegre All Stars records.

I wish Craft would do a similar sort of box set treatment for those Alegre All Star releases. 

I think they have a similar sort of underground reputation and deserve much wider exposure.  ... But I guess you could say that about nearly everything that Charlie Palmieri did.

There was another aggregation founded after the Alegre All Stars, the Cesta All Stars, in which Charlie Palmieri also played: https://www.discogs.com/artist/1101421-The-Cesta-All-Stars. AFAIK there were six Alegre All Stars LPs. Five by the Cesta All Stars. The Alegre tapes are owned by Fania, which is now owned by Concord. Since Craft is part of the Concord Music Group, why not ....  Send them a suggestive mail.

Charly did a CD compilation of the Alegre All Stars many years ago, which is nice. Just saw that Fania reissued exactly that compilation!

R-5677481-1399681570-3241.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil