Tell Me About the Cuban Laud

This is the time of year when I transition from drinking Old Fashioneds to rum cocktails.

And with this shift in cocktail choices, I start to drag out the Latin jazz and exotica albums.  

A lot of my older Afro-Cuban records include an instrument that a gringo such as I would assume is an acoustic 12-string guitar.  In fact, what I am probably hearing on these records is the instrument known as the Cuban Laud.  

I have seen these only in pictures.  I have never attended a gig where one was used, let alone played in a combo that featured one.  

So tell me what you know - facts, impressions, and rumors are all welcome.  This thread is intended as your convenient one-stop shop for all things related to the Cuban Laud.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

Thank you.  I've checked out some links, but I'd love to hear from someone who's played one or who has played in a combo with one. 

8 hours ago, GA Russell said:

TTK, when the missus makes you your rum cocktails, does she put an umbrella in them?

Well, she does not mix my rum cocktails, I do.  

And these are high-end rum cocktails, many of which would have been lost to time were it not for the important work of Jeff "Beachbum" Berry.  These drinks are nothing like the Jimmy Buffet, beach bar swill that many of us have been subjected to over the decades. 

I don't use umbrellas.  However, we have a stash, and I have been known to use them when mixing cocktails for others.  

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Depends on the cocktail in question!  And the mixers make a huge difference.

Just get this book, or the app:

http://beachbumberry.com/publication-remixed.html

Wow, I hadn't looked at his site in a long time. I have the original edition of the Grog Log, but will have to check out the newer stuff.

I'm fortunate to live about five minutes away from a top-notch tiki bar, so they tend to get my business when I'm in the mood for a quality rum-based drink. If I'm making cocktails at home, usually gin or vodka is involved.