Best Jazz Clubs in New Orleans?

skeith

Here are the performances that week that I would consider attending:

On next Monday night: Aurora Nealand and the Royal Roses are at La Maison (she is great). Also, Charmaine Neville is at Snug Harbor (she's not really a jazz singer but she is pretty good and her band members are jazz musicians).

On Tuesday, clarinetist Gregory Agid is at La Maison. Also, pianist Tom McDermott is at the Starlight. 

Wednesday night at Snug Harbor, the Uptown Jazz Orchestra. A really swinging, riff based big band. Also, Tuba Skinny at the Starlight (features the terrific Shaye Cohn on cornet, grandchild of Al Cohn).

On Thursday, Carl LeBlanc is at the Bayou Bar (guitarist from the Sun Ra Arkestra). Tom McDermott is at Three Muses.

Friday, Aurora Nealand and the Royal Roses are at d.b.a. And Shaye Cohn is at the Starlight.

Saturday, Little Freddie King is at d.b.a. (blues not jazz). Astral Project is at Snug Harbor.

I've been to Snug Harbor multiple times (most recently, a month ago to see Lonnie Smith). It is the nicest venue for jazz in the city that I have been to (nice by any standard). Going there is like going to Jazz Standard, the Village Vanguard, Smoke, or the like.

I've been to a few of the other clubs on Frenchman Street (La Maison and d.b.a.). There is a concentration of music clubs on Frenchman Street, but they are all more bars than anything, not refined listening rooms.

Mostly, I recommended artists/groups that I've seen and liked at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival over the last six years. Your tastes may differ. 

Also, you should find out who is playing at Preservation Hall. If Leroy Jones, Louis Ford or Jamil Sharif, is playing, that is also a good choice. 

Edited by kh1958