Two more Hank Mobley photos.

Hardbopjazz

wow, never thought Miles would also give his autograph......

About the photo: Whatever other difficulties Hank Mobley might have, he had taste, he´s always well dressed. Nice coat, the man had class. I heard that even at the very end of his live, when he appeared (but didn´t play) on a great BN anniverary he was well dressed and made a short speech. But there´s no photos from that event.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 4:30 AM, EKE BBB said:

FWIW, and from the Hank Mobley group in FB, here's a napkin autographed by the members of Miles Davis' group at the Black Hawk in San Francisco on 26 June 1962, including Hank and J.J. Johnson:

IMG_8806.JPG

I don't think I've seen Jimmy Cobb spell his name 'Jimmie' before. I wonder when he made the change.

7 minutes ago, Justin V said:

I don't think I've seen Jimmy Cobb spell his name 'Jimmie' before. I wonder when he made the change.

Hank had nice handwriting.

Same, I don’t recall Jimmy Cobb spelling it like this before or since.  

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Hank is playing a King tenor in that last picture. You don't see them a lot (I've never seen one live). Usually, Hank is shown with a Super Action Selmer (the one before the Mark VI), the same model that Trane used until about 1964. Cannonball is always shown with a King, and Yusef Lateef had one when he was in Cannonball's sextet. Presumably good horns.

I have always stuck to Selmer horns, which are the best for jazz from bop onward. All the others today are copies of it. I have blown Yamaha altos and tenors, and those are good, but you can't beat the real thing.

During the swing era, the Conn tenor was the best bet. They had a big sound. My saxophone mentor said that the Conn was the tenor to get. Too bad that the keywork for the left little finger is so clumsy on saxophones before Selmer's "balanced action" design. I had a 20s Buescher on loan at one time. The owner's grandfather had played it in Jimmy Durante's band. It had a nice, big sound, and it was very solidly built, but the keywork was awful for a man accustomed to the balanced action layout.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mjzee said:

R-4294746-1360974502-3256.jpeg.jpg

Not sure why, but this pic on this cover for Far Away Lands has always struck me as looking VERY much like it could have been taken yesterday -- or certainly any time in the 80's or 90's (or early 2000's) anyway.

NOTHING about it says it's from the 1960's (at least not to me).