Brubeck "Jackpot" CL 2712 mono- does it actually exist?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a US mono though--- this is columbia 1968 when big brother & the holding co cheap thrills didnt even get the mono cat # listed in the FIRST billboard mention of the album- this one at least has it listed- i wonder if there really is a stock mono US copy of this- 

oh bill nelson i see that oh god oh you have a mono promo- yea i have a stereo promo w/ timing strip! wild!

oh god!  2/24/68-----

Capture

10 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Recorded live in Vegas, half of the songs are gambling-related and it seemed they were 'playing to the audience'.  For Brubeck completists only. My copy was a mono promo with pasted-on timing strip and yes, I sold it to a completist..

was your copy a white label promo or red stock label mono? thx!

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

11 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Both, that's true.  But oddly enough, it's not a bad record!  They're not playing down to anyone, though it's a lounge gig...

Yeah, I picked up the Japanese CD reissue a few years ago and was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the playing. Pretty good stuff!

The piano is a drag, but hell, if I threw out all my jazz records with bad pianos....shudder!

isnt the out of tune piano better for the more "raggy" style of numbers, i dont think im gonna hate it once i give it a serious sit-down listen.  

---also im concerned regarding the cd in respect to Brubeck-----  brubeck specifically did not want it on cd but i guess after he died, those wishes were not followed

21 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

nice!!  yea the mono stock really might not exist for the title-  the mono cat # is listed on cover which throws me off though.  take for example flatts n scruggs bonnie & clyde- no mono cat # listed, but they put a special sticker on it-  (the top of the sticker says "special mono")

R-3860832-1347211934-8779.jpeg.jpg

A guess: the mono version might have been made only for radio use.  Assuming the country stations were AM, it would've sounded better over the air than folded-down stereo.

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

A guess: the mono version might have been made only for radio use.  Assuming the country stations were AM, it would've sounded better over the air than folded-down stereo.

The AM stations I worked at had stereo cartridges on the turntables, wired to mono output.  (This was in the early '60s.)

And of course, there were stereo 45s issued, too...  The record companies offered good service to radio stations, but I don't recall too many exclusive-to-radio mono things.  Not that the US companies didn't -- we just didn't in Canada.

21 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

when i put it on headphones @ the store i immediately thought it sounded interesting- seemed like joe morillo was mixed as high up as brubeck and desmond- exited to jam this one

Joe Morello is as loud as, or even louder than, Brubeck on most or all of the stereo albums.  That's why the mono ones are so much better.

True, you can adjust the balance in stereo, but then most of the group is coming out of one speaker and Joe Morello is in the other.  Mono is the way to go on these.  IMO. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Dave didn't want it on cd.  I mean if you wanna seek out a record fine, but Dave specifically didn't want it on cd.  This and PARIS--- Im not quite sure if Wilshire-Ebell (fantasy) was on that shortlist, or if that one was just really hard for me to find.  but i remember Jackpot and Paris for sure

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez