Brubeck "Jackpot" CL 2712 mono- does it actually exist?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a mono Anything Goes picked new out of a TG&Y (dime store) cutout rack ca. 1971, complete with the sealed plastic inner sleeve that you had to rip open along the perforation. Monos would frequently turn up in places like that, as I guess distributors were unloading them as undesirable/unsellable.

Anything Goes  is  glorious in mono, and "What Is This Thing called Love" is one of the great latter-day Desmond performances.

Sony (Columbia) still needs to release "The Last Time We Saw Paris" and "Compadres" on CD. These are the only Columbia Brubeck LPs that have not been released on CD so far. I am aware of the story that Dave did not want "Paris" released, possibly because of a problem with Paul Desmond. I wonder if the tape still exists. As far as "Compadres" goes I have no idea why is has not been released on CD.

"Jackpot" is one of my favorite Brubeck albums. It was recorded live at the Tropicana in Las Vegas and really swings. Who cares if the piano wasn't perfect.

14 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I don't think he wanted Bossa Nova USA on CD either.  

I had not heard this before.  Was there an alleged reason why he would object to that album being reissued?  It's pretty good and every one was doing bossa nova albums at that time (even Sinatra) so no need to be ashamed about having jumped on that particular bandwagon

7 hours ago, duaneiac said:

I had not heard this before.  Was there an alleged reason why he would object to that album being reissued?  It's pretty good and every one was doing bossa nova albums at that time (even Sinatra) so no need to be ashamed about having jumped on that particular bandwagon

I don't have a source in front of me.  If you check the chronology, I believe that Bossa Nova USA was among the last of the classic-era Brubeck Columbia albums to be released on CD.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)  My recollection is that Brubeck felt that it was more or less a cash-in.

It's true that it did not come out on cd until it appeared in Japan in '98 and not in the US until that Complete Album Collection box set came out. It's interesting that Brubeck didn't seem to value the album; I myself like it a LOT.

On 5/31/2019 at 4:07 AM, JSngry said:

There would still be a good package to be made of the live Columbias.

It seems to me like I remember that Columbia was contemplating just such a box, but the reissue boom ended before they did anything about it.

gregmo

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, how did the TG&Y Christmas album(s?) compare to the Firestone ones?

I learned this only recently: Virtually  ALL of those ubiquitous dollar bin Xmas comps contained some unique tracks.  Many people gripe, for example, that reissues of Tony Bennett's Xmas album do not include his CSP Christmas tunes as bonus tracks.  

More useless stuff to drag home...

Firestone had an annual series, though. I'm thinking they did at least 10 of them. Don't know if they were all different from year to year, but if there's such a specialty as Christmas Records Discography...

This just shows how much of a wide-reaching enterprise Columbia Records really was  -they had a stockpile of Christmas songs ready to go for anybody and everybody who wanted to slap their brand on a record. And considering all the non-Christmas CSP products (a few of which would have the odd non-LP cut as well)...Columbia was a corporate titan when it came to having inventory!

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Firestone had an annual series, though. I'm thinking they did at least 10 of them. Don't know if they were all different from year to year, but if there's such a specialty as Christmas Records Discography...

This just shows how much of a wide-reaching enterprise Columbia Records really was  -they had a stockpile of Christmas songs ready to go for anybody and everybody who wanted to slap their brand on a record. And considering all the non-Christmas CSP products (a few of which would have the odd non-LP cut as well)...Columbia was a corporate titan when it came to having inventory!

There is even a Simon and Garfunkel Christmas track on one of those - not "7:00 News/Silent NIght" - that is not widely available elsewhere.  Can't remember which offhand. 

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

..and still don't? Or would want to, other than as a curiosity?

Well, the people who are obsessed with Christmas music and/or the people who are completists of certain artists would care. 

Incidentally, there is a great documentary about record collectors who focus on obscure Christmas music. It centers on a guy who is obsessed with Nat King Cole's "The Little Boy Santa Claus Forgot."  When the guy was a kid, he thought that Nat was singing about him, because his parents had gotten divorced.  Bob Dorough makes an appearance in the film.