Leon Redbone -- R.I.P.

duaneiac

wow...I vividly recall his seeming out-of-nowhere debut on SNL...talk about a seriously WTF???? moment...and then the first WB LP, reinforcing that first impression.

Nothing from him after that made anything close to that type of impact on me, but major love still for doing what it did when it did it.

RIP, and can I have your walking stick now, please?

I love the statement on his website:

Leon.jpg?format=1000w

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

wow...I vividly recall his seeming out-of-nowhere debut on SNL...talk about a seriously WTF???? moment...and then the first WB LP, reinforcing that first impression.

Nothing from him after that made anything close to that type of impact on me, but major love still for doing what it did when it did it.

RIP, and can I have your walking stick now, please?

I remember that first appearance on SNL too.  It's amazing that he must have been only around 25 then.  I would have guessed he was in his late-30's or early 40's.  Yet even at that young age, his persona and musical style was fully and audaciously formed.

I loved his music throughout his career.  Just a couple of weeks ago I was thinking it would be great if there were a complete Warner Bros. album collection of Leon Redbone's albums, including any alternate takes or bonus tracks that might exist.  He had some really classic veteran jazz musicians on those early albums and it would be great to hear them in action to on whatever alternate takes may exist.