Apple is getting rid of iTunes: report

mjzee

https://nypost.com/2019/05/31/apple-is-getting-rid-of-itunes-report/

R.I.P. iTunes.

Apple is phasing out its content download and streaming service, Bloomberg reports. CEO Tim Cook will unveil a spread of new features geared to move the company’s focus away from the iPhone starting Monday at the tech giant’s Worldwide Developers Conference.

One of these changes is getting rid of iTunes, which has served since 2001 as the home for users’ music, television and podcast libraries. Going forward, three new desktop apps will be unveiled — Music, TV and Podcasts — to house and manage the data. This will match the format already used on iPhones and iPads.

Bloomberg’s report did not specify the fate of the iTunes store.

Other exciting announcements expected an increasing autonomy of the Apple Watch, which currently depends on iPhones to work, revamps to the Health and Reminders apps and a unified app strategy across devices.

I would expect, and hope, that the new Music App will end up being iTunes for the next generation. Or maybe Apple will allow those who use and rely on iTunes the opportunity to continue with it on that platform. I have no videos, photos, podcasts, etc. on my iPods so a stand alone music app/program would be fine for me.

It seems to me like reports of iTunes demise though are somewhat overstated. Apple has sold a lot of people and awful lot of music through the years. I can't imagine that they would take away ability for people to access and play that music.

I know that those of us who use iPods are lower on their list of priorities, but I also have a lot of music on my 256 GB iPhone. I suppose you could call it the end of an era, but a new era surely awaits.

8 minutes ago, Dave James said:

Here's the latest from a story on CNN: https://us.cnn.com/2019/06/03/tech/itunes-apple-wwdc/index.html

Many people have said over the years that iTunes evolved into a kludgy mix of repositories and purposes that made no sense as a whole.  Hopefully, the new apps will be cleaner and less buggy.

1 hour ago, Hardbopjazz said:

I just was prompted for a new release of iTunes. 12.9.5. 

I have version 12.9.5.5.  It's still the same.  The new apps will roll out with the new version of the MacOS.

I'm still debating whether to upgrade my copy of Microsoft Office to comply with the new OS.  I hate giving Microsoft money.

The official announcement from Apple was in the news yesterday or the day before, I'm unsure now. I have stalled at version 10.1.0.54 from 2010, I think, because I didn't like what was coming in the new upgrade. I wonder if I will be able to continue to work with that version of Itunes when it is finally withdrawn. Because I also won't want any of the new three apps.

Basically its taking iTunes and breaking it up. All the music will be on one app, including your personal library, podcasts in another. I'm assuming video/movies in a third. Makes sense, given the death of the iPod which housed all three. Your phone already breaks it up.