BFT183

Ken Dryden

Track #2 has a 50s vibes: a little mellow for bebop and too fast for cool. Nice tenor, and the trumpeter has some of the qualities of Miles. But no guesses here.

Track #3 is Jackie McLean from an early session on Prestige--one that's not in my collection.  I know he did a record with Ray Draper on tuba.

Track #4 is a cool rendition of "Seven Steps to Heaven" on acoustic guitar.  It sounds a bit like Charlie Byrd, but both the guitar  work and the overall concept/sound suggest it's not him.

Track #5 is, of course, "It Had to be You." No guess at all on the singer, who doesn't sound like he has much of a voice (but who am I to say?).  Trombone work by J.J. Johnson?

Track #6 is a nice grooving number--some virile tenor work and fine playing by the guitarist (both the solo and the comping), but he's not a really distinctive player like Wes, Kenny Burrell, or Jim Hall. Actually, the comping reminds me of Hall, but this guy goes for a bit more speed.

Track #7...oh, that's instantly recognizable as the gorgeous "Single Petal of a Rose."  Very nice...I've got some fine versions (but none top Duke's original), but I can't recall any with trumpet in the spotlight.  Clark Terry?  I doubt that it is Clark.  But this is lovely; this needs to be in my collection.

Track #8 is "If I Were a Bell."  Did Milt Jackson do this?  But it's probably not such a famous player.

Track #9 is "Turn Out the Stars."  The tenor reminds me a bit of Joe Lovano, but this is certainly not his version with Motian and Frisell.  The pianist has listened to his Evans, but needs to slow down on the pace.   Whether it's Lovano or someone else, he takes out the tune in fine fashion. 

That's it for now.  I really like your choices.  I've got several of the titles, but only on #3 am I certain of the artist. 

Edited by Milestones

Track 8

Lem Winchester on vibes from Winchester Special  with pretty unmistakable (and not very much to my taste :huh:) Art Taylor on drums, Tommy Flanagan pno, Wendell Marshall bs.

Track 10

"Darn that Dream" - 2 guitars. Can say no more than that.

Track 11

Possibly Tony Scott? Know the tune very well, but can't put a name to it.

Track 12

Charles Mingus' "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat". And who's that fine baritonist? Ronnie Cuber?

Track 14

Albert Mangelsdorff and Lee Konitz, "Creole Love Call"

Milestones posted:

Track #2 has a 50s vibes: a little mellow for bebop and too fast for cool. Nice tenor, and the trumpeter has some of the qualities of Miles. But no guesses here.

Track #3 is Jackie McLean from an early session on Prestige--one that's not in my collection.  I know he did a record with Ray Draper on tuba.

Correct on all counts.

Track #4 is a cool rendition of "Seven Steps to Heaven" on acoustic guitar.  It sounds a bit like Charlie Byrd, but both the guitar work and the overall concept/sound suggest it's not him.

Not Charlie Byrd, which you understood.

Track #5 is, of course, "It Had to be You." No guess at all on the singer, who doesn't sound like he has much of a voice (but who am I to say?).  Trombone work by J.J. Johnson?

See Bill F's answer later in the thread.

Track #6 is a nice grooving number--some virile tenor work and fine playing by the guitarist (both the solo and the comping), but he's not a really distinctive player like Wes, Kenny Burrell, or Jim Hall. Actually, the comping reminds me of Hall, but this guy goes for a bit more speed.

I think he is a distinctive player...

Track #7...oh, that's instantly recognizable as the gorgeous "Single Petal of a Rose."  Very nice...I've got some fine versions (but none top Duke's original), but I can't recall any with trumpet in the spotlight.  Clark Terry?  I doubt that it is Clark.  But this is lovely; this needs to be in my collection.

Not the song you named, but you were in the neighborhood. 

Clark Terry would have been identifiable in a couple of notes due to his unique sound.

Track #8 is "If I Were a Bell."  Did Milt Jackson do this?  But it's probably not such a famous player.

See the answer in a later post.

Track #9 is "Turn Out the Stars."  The tenor reminds me a bit of Joe Lovano, but this is certainly not his version with Motian and Frisell.  The pianist has listened to his Evans, but needs to slow down on the pace.   Whether it's Lovano or someone else, he takes out the tune in fine fashion. 

Correct title, but it isn't Lovano or the saxophonist's date.

That's it for now.  I really like your choices.  I've got several of the titles, but only on #3 am I certain of the artist. 

Thanks for your kind remarks. It was fun assembling this test.

Bill F posted:

Track 5

From Frank Rosolino's album Turn Me Loose! with unmistakable vocal by the man himself (and of course tbn), Victor Feldman pno, Chas Berhofer bs, Irving Cottler dms.

Correct.

Track 8

Lem Winchester on vibes from Winchester Special  with pretty unmistakable (and not very much to my taste ) Art Taylor on drums, Tommy Flanagan pno, Wendell Marshall bs.

Correct.

Track 10

"Darn That Dream."

Correct.

Track 11

Possibly Tony Scott? Know the tune very well, but can't put a name to it.

Not Tony Scott.

Track 12

Charles Mingus' "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat". And who's that fine baritonist? Ronnie Cuber?

Correct composer and song title, but it isn't Ronnie Cuber.

Track 14

Albert Mangelsdorff and Lee Konitz, "Creole Love Call"

Correct.

Edited by Ken Dryden

On #11 it sounds like a Strayhorn or Ellington composition.  I'll take a guess and say Ken Peplowski.

On #12, is it Pepper Adams?

On track #13 I'll guess Phil Woods, but probably I'm wrong.

Track #14 is pretty cool.  Where do I find that?

Track #15 sure sounds like a piano duet, but I have no idea on the players. But I'm also thinking Jarrett, mainly because of the vamp and the extended applause at the end. I imagine he could sound like he's playing two pianos.

Edited by Milestones

Track 11 is not an Ellington or Strayhorn composition, though it is Ken Peplowski.

Track 12 isn't by Pepper Adams.

Track 13 isn't Phil Woods, though he was aware of this saxophonist.

Track 14 should be easy to find on line, though I am not sure if it is in print.

Track 15 isn't Keith Jarrett.

Not chancing that I'll be able to get to this later -- had a little time tonight.  Don't usually sleuth but had to on a couple and had a moment.

Track 01 - Not sure who we are listening to, but accent sounds French (thought it was fake at first).  Thought I heard S’wonderful before Time After Time started.  Busy fingers, but I’m not sold.   Okay, so we’re full on medley, but I can’t give you this song.  Oh, I Get a Kick Out Of You.  Tea For Two.  

Track 02 - Sounds like a Harold Land head, but then the tenor voice sounded like Rouse on the head.  Now that we’re into the improv, no idea, but it’s neither of those guys.  Good ideas, but that tone doesn’t click with me.  Sound of the recording reminds me of a later Don Byas record I have, but this doesn’t have the “it” that that has.  Sounds like a modern recording going for that sound to me.  Don’t recognize the trumpet at all.  I like the piano best of the rhythm section.  Drummer is kind of bugging me with his fidgeting.   Nothing wrong with it, but I’m not feeling like I’d go back to it.

Track 03 - Wind bass.  Doesn’t seem in full agreement with the piano, though.  Could be early Jackie, but I think it’s someone aiming for Jackie.  These drums probably fidget just as much as the last cut, but it totally works here.  Hmmm… Bill Hardman for sure.  Wait a second.  That’s Mal Waldron’s left-hand, so that has to be Ray Draper.  It IS J-Mac!   A little checking the collection and it’s track 1 from this.  Man, I love Mal Waldron!

Track 04 - Seven Steps To Heaven, but by whom?  Nylon-string guitar.  Not sure who it is.  It’s busy, but it works, particularly the bass.  No guess.

Track 05 - It Had to be Who?  Not digging the vocalist.  French horn?  Cut misses for me.

Track 06 - I want to say Zoot, but recording sounds too new.  Also the guitarist is very quote happy.  Not Zoot.  Good player, but I’m missing the story.   Duet breakdown is cool.

Track 07 - Well, it’s not by the composer, but this is from The Queen’s Suite.  Sunset and the Mockingbird.  Glad to hear this song covered, but man… the original is just SO incredible.  These are not people I know.  

Track 08 - Harold Arlen tune?  Uh!  No.  Frank Loesser.  If I Were A Bell.  Flyin’ vibes!  Ah!  Tommy Flanagan for sure!  That left-hand is unmistakeable (almost as much as Waldron).  Okay, sleuthing occurred — tried to think of vibists in my collection who worked with Tommy.  It’s from this.

Track 09 - Recognize the tune, but can’t name it.  I don’t know the tenor.  Some Marsh-like feel in there, but no way.  More recent recording.  It’s just not clicking for me.  Obviously a helluva player, but I’m not feeling… “it”.

Track 10 - Different sounding guitar (steel body?).  Darn That Dream.  And a second guitar.  Second sounds like nylon-string to me.  That tells me one thing for sure:  I have no idea who this is.  Appreciate the general, laid-back feel, though.

Track 11 - Bird tune… Segment.  Beyond Daryl Harper, I won’t even hazard a guess at most clarinet players.  However, I do know Ed Bickert, and the association makes me think Terry Clarke (perhaps a Concord recording?).  So, I’m going to hazard a guess:  Ken Peplowski.

Track 12 - Goodbye Porkpie Hat.  Niiiiiice bari.  I can name everybody it ISN’T!  Loses me a bit as we move into the improv.  Too choppy, not enough story.  Like the sound, but disagree with the ideas.  Nothing wrong with it, just a matter of preference.  Porkpie in 3?  Interesting.  Always thought if you sped the tune up you’d have a bitchin’ Blakey tune.

Track 13 - I *have* Met Miss Jones.  She was NOT a Blackbird.  Two bitchin’ musicians for sure.  Alto sounds a bit more out of the later in-the-tradition guys than I’m familiar with.  Perhaps Herb Geller?  Time is pretty impressive.  Not sure on the pianist.  I hear the accomplishment, but I also hear some strange ideas.  

Track 14 - Creole Love Call.  Digging this.  About 2:45, it occurs to me who the alto is — gotta be Lee Konitz.  I don’t have this, but I sleuthed and this explains why I like it — LOVE the ‘bone!  It’s from this.

Track 15 - I’m in.  I’m ALL in.  Can’t tell if this is one piano, or a looped piano.  My first thought was Ibrahim, but it’s way too agressive.  I’m diggin’ it, though.  Going with looped.  It's cool, but doesn't quite swing. 

Some neat stuff in here!

On 6/3/2019 at 7:09 AM, BillF said:

Track 2

I'm guessing a more or less contemporary revival of an earlier sound. John Marshall with a Dutch tenorman? I don't think it's Grant Stewart.

I shouldn't have said "I don't think it's Grant Stewart" as it is Grant Stewart. The track is "Junka" from John Marshall's album Frisky, recorded in 2004 with Tardo Hammer, John Goldsby and Jimmy Wormworth. "Junka" is by Sonny Clark and its first phrase is very reminiscent of "Milestones" (first version), but then it goes its own way.

2 hours ago, BillF said:

I shouldn't have said "I don't think it's Grant Stewart" as it is Grant Stewart. The track is "Junka" from John Marshall's album Frisky, recorded in 2004 with Tardo Hammer, John Goldsby and Jimmy Wormworth. "Junka" is by Sonny Clark and its first phrase is very reminiscent of "Milestones" (first version), but then it goes its own way.

Correct, I thought by not addressing your dismal of Grant Stewart that you would figure it out.