Rock exploded in 1971?

Milestones

I know it's a US/European divide in the ACTUAL rock'n'roll subculture (wrongly called "rockabilly" by some or sometimes even many but there's more to it). But it IS there. Tell any actual European rock'n'roller who embraces the key 1954-63-style rock music as his definite musical prefernces that there are longhaired overamplified fuzzguitar players out there (heavy metal or whatever) who claim something like "it's only rock'n'roll but I like it" about that music and they will invariably state "no it's not". :D

Of course people ARE aware of this schism of stylistic denominations and don't take it THAT deadly seriously (me included, in case didn't notice :P) but there IS a grain of truth and I can assure you that most European fans, collectors and followers of actual rock'n'roll will cringe, for example, at the scope of coverage of the Ohio "R'n'R" Hall of Fame museum and will only be able to stomach it once they tell themselves "Ah those Yanks they just don't know when R'n'R stopped - musically-stylistically speaking - and just became plain "rock"". I know, for example, back in the day when a lavish coffee table book of that Ohio R'n'R Hall of Fame hit the bookstore racks I was attracted by the "Rock'n'Roll" in the title but put it back in the rack in utter disappointment when I saw there was hardly any significant coverage of real R'n'R there - "psychedelics are anathema to greasers" :P (and picked up Michael Ochs' "Rock Archives" photo book instead at around the same times ^_^). (Yes I'd probably pick up the Hall of Fame book today for general visual reference but while insistently telling myself I am NOT buying a R'n'R book there ;))

Of course there ARE notable exceptions where the boundaries are more vague and later groups did catch the r'n'r feel - a good many early British invasion recordings (Merseybeat or British Beat in European lingo) did carry on r'n'r (Chuck Berry anyone?), as did many 60s garage r'n'r/garage punk groups, some Ramones et al. recordings might qualify too,  and "I'm Going Home" by TYA is a killer anytime, and so on, but in general and as a "one term encompasses all styles" denominator? Nah, not anymore. At least not within the subculture of real r'n'r. :D

(But again - in the end this IS a case of poking fun against what is seen by many as usurpation of a term, above all, and not many would expect US "rock" fans to go along with it ... ^_^)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

19 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Granted, but what's the alternative? The Rock & Roll, Rockabilly, Hard Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Blues Rock, Prog Rock, Punk Rock, Post-Punk, Rap, Disco and Country Rock Hall of Fame?

Not my point.  This is the organization that at one point had Kiss, the Beastie Boys, and ABBA in, and Steve Miller Band, Yes, and the Moody Blues out.    And sign me up for a visit to the Psychedelic Rock hall of fame, where I can go get blissfully lost in adolescent memories of the Ultimate Spinach, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Electric Prunes, 13th Floor Elevators, etc. 

Edited by felser

Good point, Captain Howdy.

The Rock Hall of Fame (I usually don't use the term Rock 'n Roll) has its issues, but the museum itself is not bad.  It honors most of the artists from the good days, and I get the feeling that most of us here rarely listen to anyone in the field of rock, however one defines it, under the age of 65.  

I dunno about what I hear in some places above about “I don’t listen to “that” music anymore stuff.

i went through a 8-10 year all jazz/improv period some 15 to 25 years ago but I’m interested in strong music that gets me excited to live and breath. And I love to see it live when I can. I’d love to go more but life is in the way. 

Fwiw:

I love 68-70 Grateful Dead BUT they got better from 71-74 before they took a short break and were still great in 77-78. Some say even in the 80’s they could bring it and they could more intermittently but Jerry’s addiction/decline got in the way. But when they hit it, they were an intense and powerful organism. 

Traffic was great up to their breakup in 74-75

Little Feat peaked in the mid-70’s. I don’t know a stronger “rock ‘n roll” band that that crew with Lowell George at the helm.

plus I’m going to Vision Fest on 6/11 and Phil Lesh on 6/12 

I listen to all sorts of different music - usually music that involves high level improvisation and energy/spirit. I think both nights should deliver on all fronts.

celebration for Andrew Cyrille with a few other legends including Milford Graves, Kidd Jordan, Wadada Leo Smith & Peter Brotzmann.

Phil’s group will feature Jorma Kaukonen. Last Phil concert I saw on 3/14 (right as Mr. Lesh was turning 79) was certainly not “dead” although it was primarily music from the great band he helped form and the music was alive, thoroughly rocked out and I’ve never heard a concert hall audience so loud as when they peaked almost 2 hours into the second set playing an absolutely scorching “I Know You Rider”. Without a doubt this was a rock ‘n roll concert in the purest sense of the world. Whole downstairs as always no seats and dancing and the energy level was through the roof. 

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’m interested in strong music that gets me excited to live and breath. 

I listen to all sorts of different music - usually music that involves high level improvisation and energy/spirit. 

Amen.

58 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I know what your point is. I'm just wondering what you think it should be named if you insist on differentiating between "rock" and "rock & roll". 

I don't really care what they call it.  ABBA and Tupac Shakur and Solomon Burke, etc. aren't rock & roll, and they aren't rock.   

Edited by felser

1 minute ago, Dave James said:

The past is like a foreign country.  Things are different there.  

As to the band America, I have only one thing to say.  MAGA.  Shitty lyrics and all, I love those guys.  

I really like a good bit of the Dewey Bunnell material (including "...Horse...") myself, and they do a great version of Russ Ballard's "Cast the Spirit".   And who can resist Ballard's "You Can Do Magic" by them?  Not me.