A lament for Trout Mask Replica

mjzee

It appears that the Zappa Family Trust, after reacquiring the rights to Trout Mask Replica, has allowed it to again go out of print.  If there was ever an album that deserved the 50th anniversary treatment, this is it.  We could have had an edition with new appreciative essays, interviews with surviving Magic Band members, perhaps fleshed out with the material that appeared on Grow Fins.  Instead, we have bupkis, due to the dysfunctional Zappa family.  It’s a damn shame; Don’s legacy deserves better.

33 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Any of you "fans" have (or check out) the Revenant release of rehearsals, out-takes, etc titled "Grow Fins"? 

This 4 cd set was released 20 years ago. I would think some of you would have it.

Yup.  I mentioned it in my initial post.  Disc 3 is basically the instrumental tracks to Trout Mask.  I think John French claimed ownership because it was recorded on his tape recorder.  This disc would be a great basis for an evening of Trout Mask Karaoke - be your own Beefheart!  But yes, especially since Revenant is out of business, this material would have been perfect as bonus tracks on a 50th anniversary edition of Trout Mask.

What really gets me is the ZFT sued Warner Bros for ownership of Trout Mask, won, put out their own edition for a short time (available only on their website), then let it go out of print.  Because it was only on their website, it wasn't available on Amazon.  Now, it's pretty much gone from the market, unless you want to buy a used copy.  Sux.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

What really gets me is the ZFT sued Warner Bros for ownership of Trout Mask, won, put out their own edition for a short time (available only on their website), then let it go out of print.  Because it was only on their website, it wasn't available on Amazon.  Now, it's pretty much gone from the market, unless you want to buy a used copy.  Sux.

That does suck. I had intended to get a copy eventually, but it wasn't a high priority since I have the earlier Reprise CD and it was unclear to me if the ZFT version was a significant improvement. Guess I'll continue to wonder, as I can't see paying what will almost certainly be inflated prices now that it's no longer available. 

3 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Any of you "fans" have (or check out) the Revenant release of rehearsals, out-takes, etc titled "Grow Fins"? 

This 4 cd set was released 20 years ago. I would think some of you would have it.

I have it. Beautiful box. 

I don't have the "Grow Fins" collection, but I do have the nicely packaged "Sun Zoom Spark" box with 'Decals,' 'Spotlight Kid,' 'Clear Spot' and a disk of unreleased outtakes.

Really a shame there isn't some sort of 50th Anniversary collection.

17 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

yes, I have it. There's a ton of wonderful material on there. The Trout Mask House Sessions are pretty fun. I have these on LP; my favorite is the third set, which is primarily 1972 and later, and titled "Grow Fins." The CD set adds about twenty minutes.

Edited by clifford_thornton

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I like the videos that were included with Grow Fins. I wonder if they still play on modern computers.

They do.  I opened the disc in Finder and copied those video files to my hard drive.  Then double-click and they play.

• 2 weeks later...