Pullen and Adams

Hardbopjazz

4 hours ago, BFrank said:

They were great, for sure! Saw them a number of times and especially like their Black Saint/Soul Note albums.

I regret that I never saw them with Mingus, though.

Yes, they were great and I think their work with Mingus was his second great group, the first might have been the one with Dolphy in 1964. So the Mingus from 1974,75 with Adams/Pullen really brought Mingus back in action. But it´s a shame there are no live recordings from that group. You can listen to the fantastic "Changes One/Changes Two" the studio album, but while the Mingus-Dolphy 1964 stuff was recorded almost in each town so you have "live in Oslo,live in Amsterdam, live in Paris, live in......." but from Mingus with Adams/Pullen there´s only the DVD from Montreux, but nothing else live.

I saw Mingus not with Pullen and Adams, they had left the band, they were replaced with Bob Neloms and Ricky Ford. Fine group, but not as spectacular as the Don Pullen/Adams collaboration.......

I saw Adams/Pullen/Richmond with Cameron Brown early in 1980, they played the Pullen Classic "Double Arc Jake" I think it´s the title. And they played Pullen´s composition "Newcomer" which is on the otherwise weaker album "Mingus Moves".

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

I saw them with Mingus twice in Toronto a year or so apart.  Both times were great. 

I can imagine!

Saw Adams/Pullen (or Pullen/Adams ;)) at the Keystone Korner in 81, and then at the Village Vanguard twice in 85.

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw Mingus not with Pullen and Adams, they had left the band, they were replaced with Bob Neloms and Ricky Ford. Fine group, but not as spectacular as the Don Pullen/Adams collaboration ....

Not as spectacular, but to my ears with rewarding results ....

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Not as spectacular, but to my ears with rewarding results ....

Yeah, especially because during that last tour there were the long, new compositions "Cumbia" and "3 or 4 Shades of Blues".

One tune they usually started with, was Sy Johnsons composition "For Harry Carney". This comes from the George Adams-Don Pullen band, it´s on the "Changes 1&2". It usually was a showcase for each of the soloists, sections where the bass laid out and the soloist did hot duos with Danny on drums. I remember that deep gosple like playing of Don Pullen on that tune. And they kept it also with the last band (Neloms,Ford). That tune really was a gym. Started very very quiet, than became very powerful. Anyway, this contrasts was Mingus´ speciality, as he did with George Adams-Don Pullen on "Sue´s Changes", you sure remember all those tunes and those concerts.......

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes, they were great and I think their work with Mingus was his second great group, the first might have been the one with Dolphy in 1964. So the Mingus from 1974,75 with Adams/Pullen really brought Mingus back in action. But it´s a shame there are no live recordings from that group. You can listen to the fantastic "Changes One/Changes Two" the studio album, but while the Mingus-Dolphy 1964 stuff was recorded almost in each town so you have "live in Oslo,live in Amsterdam, live in Paris, live in......." but from Mingus with Adams/Pullen there´s only the DVD from Montreux, but nothing else live.

I saw Mingus not with Pullen and Adams, they had left the band, they were replaced with Bob Neloms and Ricky Ford. Fine group, but not as spectacular as the Don Pullen/Adams collaboration.......

I saw Adams/Pullen/Richmond with Cameron Brown early in 1980, they played the Pullen Classic "Double Arc Jake" I think it´s the title. And they played Pullen´s composition "Newcomer" which is on the otherwise weaker album "Mingus Moves".

There are live recordings of Mingus with Adams and Pullen; they are just not commercially released. In particular, I recall recording one myself off of a show called Jazz Wave on NPR; I listened to it a lot until the reel to reel tape recorder I used malfunctioned. The concert had an incredible half hour version of Opus 3, and a version of For Harry Carney with one of the greatest bass solos I've ever heard. I wish someone would release such material in the best possible sound.

15 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

2CD set readily available on Eagle Rock (also on DVD).  

Live At Montreux 1975 [2 CD]

8 hours ago, felser said:

2CD set readily available on Eagle Rock (also on DVD).  

Live At Montreux 1975 [2 CD]

Is this the same music like the Montreux 1975 DVD? I have this, and when I saw this CD on Amazone I was not sure if it´s the same music like the DVD.

I think the DVD starts with "Devil Blues" , then there must be a long version of Sue´s Changes, maybe another tune, and as I remember bonus tracks with Gerry Mulligan and Benny Bailey sittin in on "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat" and "A Train".......

Thank you @felser, so there´s no need to purchase it since I have the DVD.

But it´s still a shame there is so little recorded evidence of that Band. I don´t rate Mingus´ bands, but if I´d like to say the band with Dolphy and Jaky Byard was an important one and was considered worth to be recorded all around the world and if you want to listen to some of it you find dozens of records , but very little from that "second great band".

By the way: I stated earlier that the next band after Adams and Pullen had left was the one with Ricky Ford and Bob Neloms. I was wrong. On the piano chair Don Pullen was followed by Danny Mixon, who stayed during the European Tour 1976. After that, for the European Tour 1977 Mixon was replaced by Neloms.

17 hours ago, felser said:

The Mingus group with Pullen, Adams, Richmond, and Jack Walrath was outstanding.  Walrath's contributions were substantial and underrated.  He is quite a fascinating musician.

He sure is. I remember his incredible solo on the Latin part of "Cumbia" how they did it in the quintet version on tour. I think the role of Jack Walrath became more and more important toward the end of the band. He also did great contributions to arrange for Mingus´ last album but I think somebody else got the credits. He knew Mingus´ music from top to bottom and I think when Mingus couldn´t play anymore Walrath helped him to make that album "Me Myself an Eye" , I think he wrote parts of "Three Words of Drums", I once read that Mingus gave Walrath a tape with a Moorish sounding scale and just told him "Pick out some of my notes and make a melody out of it...."

On 04/06/2019 at 7:59 AM, BFrank said:

I can imagine!

Saw Adams/Pullen (or Pullen/Adams ;)) at the Keystone Korner in 81, and then at the Village Vanguard twice in 85.

Ronnie Scotts in either late 1982 or early 1983 (more likely 83). The lineup also included Cameron Brown and a dapper looking Dannie Richmond. It was around the time that that LP ‘Don’t Lose Control’ came out.

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...

It seams I was quite conscious About that band yesterday, since I had "Sue´s Changes" in my head (it was the most celebrated Mingus tune the band with Adams/Pullen played). 

After work and after having coffee I sat down at the piano and played "Sue´s Changes" from ear, and my wife who is not necessarly a big jazz fan but digs some of the stuff, came into the room and said whats this you never played it, sounds very fine……, well it was the slower more lyrical part of "Sue´s Changes".