Birth of the Cool ... AGAIN

BFrank

Serious question: what was the first legit (legal) issue of the *live* Birth of the Cool material?

And were there any other notable issues of said live BOC tracks, Before the well-know CD issue of the 2001 RVG?

Any LP issues (pre-CD era) - ?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

11 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Serious question: what was the first legit (legal) issue of the *live* Birth of the Cool material?

And were there any other notable issues of said live BOC tracks, Before the well-know CD issue of the 2001 RVG?

Any LP issues (pre-CD era) - ?

The Blue Note was the first "legit" issue of the live material, but I first heard it in the late 1970s on this 1974 Italian bootleg: https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-His-Tuba-Band-Pre-Birth-Of-The-Cool/release/2165962

R-2165962-1267563484.jpeg.jpg

R-2165962-1267563354.jpeg.jpg

It should (maybe) be noted that the first full "modern" LP release of the studio material didn't come until 1972!

R-1922965-1252696934.jpeg.jpg

Previous LPs had omitted "Darn That Dream".

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

The Blue Note was the first "legit" issue of the live material...

Interesting.  I would have figured that live material would have come out (legit) before 2001! -- well before 2001, actually.

I guess that explains why I'd never heard, nor even seen any of it before then (though even back then, I just figured I'd overlooked some euroboots of that stuff, which I suppose perhaps I had).

1 minute ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I guess that explains why I'd never heard, nor even seen any of it before then (though even back then, I just figured I'd overlooked some euroboots of that stuff, which I suppose perhaps I had).

Not every record store carried them, to put it mildly.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Not every record store carried them, to put it mildly.

In the 90's, I vaguely remember seeing a bunch of euroboots of various obscure pre-1957 Miles things, and after a while, I have to confess they all started to look alike to me -- so I never bothered to really dig in try and figure out what's what.  It's possible those live BOC tracks might have been something I saw, but never even recognized for what it was.

Birth of the Cool has been available in high resolution on HD Tracks for a couple of years now. One of those Grundman transfers. I expect an improvement, like for the Monk BNs (75th Anniversary SHM-CDs). Not that I hated the BotC RVG.

Edited by erwbol

I have the 1998 Complete Birth of the Cool.  From what I understand this was never a well-recorded album.  I am listening to the 1998 and it sounds pretty decent.  Maybe a little too bright.  I also have the HDtrcks which is just the original album.  Warmer.  I cannot imagine this new release is going to be a drastic improvement in sound.  And he track list is the same as the 1998.

I have both the RVG and The Complete. Do I need this?  Wouldn't it be great if they discovered some new live tracks?  Or even more unlikely  some rehearsal tapes? 

BTW According to an old copy I have of "Goldmine's Price Guide to Collectable Jazz Albums 1949-1969" some of this material (probably 8 tracks?) was issued in 1954 on a 10" Lp entitled "Jeru" before it was issued as "Birth of the Cool" on a 12"Lp in 1956.  I've never seen a copy of "Jeru" but wonder if the cover attempted to sell it as a Gerry Mulligan record. 

Edited by medjuck

55 minutes ago, medjuck said:

BTW According to an old copy I have of "Goldmine's Price Guide to Collectable Jazz Albums 1949-1969" some of this material (probably 8 tracks?) was issued in 1954 on a 10" Lp entitled "Jeru" before it was issued as "Birth of the Cool" on a 12"Lp in 1956.  I've never seen a copy of "Jeru" but wonder if the cover attempted to sell it as a Gerry Mulligan record. 

As so often, the internet (and Discogs, in particular) is your friend: ^_^

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Classics-In-Jazz-/release/4895661

And here is a period ad (late 1954) for an EP coupling from that very LP (part of the very, very widespread Classics in Jazz series):

35933831zk.jpg

The Goldmine book is very useful as complementary reference to discographies but sometimes it does tell nonsense.

7 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

As so often, the internet (and Discogs, in particular) is your friend: ^_^

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Classics-In-Jazz-/release/4895661

And here is a period ad (late 1954) for an EP coupling from that very LP (part of the very, very widespread Classics in Jazz series):

35933831zk.jpg

The Goldmine book is very useful as complementary reference to discographies but sometimes it does tell nonsense.

So it was never in fact called "Jeru".    Though the first time it was called "Birth of the Cool" was a couple of years later.   

If the liners were expanded and reasonably good (and better than what came with the Blue Note, with 2-3 essays by some varied voices), I could be tempted to get the new CD issue of BOC.

I'll be curious to get feedback on the liners, after this new edition hits the streets.

Edited by Rooster_Ties