Fletcher Henderson Classics

djcavanagh

If the mods feel that this request is inappropriate, then please let me know (or feel free to delete). 

I want to get the music from the Fletcher Henderson Classics cds. My listening is almost entirely networked at this point and I'm not fussed on having the cds themselves so I can download lossless files from one of the download stores that would mirror the Classics cds for about £150 but it does stick in my craw to pay that to a company who have presumably just copied the Classics cds and put them online. 

So I wondered if anyone might be able to provide me with lossless copies of the Classics cds (by my count there were 17) and in return I would donate the £150 to the Jazz Foundation (https://jazzfoundation.org/), which is a charity that supports musicians. This feels to me a much better use of the money. 

Again, apologies if anyone thinks the request inappropriate.

Thanks

Denis

21 hours ago, djcavanagh said:

Thanks. The file extensions look strange though and I don't know what to do with them

• "ra" probably stands for "real audio". The real player was a popular format in the early years of digitizing music for online publication. No idea whether the player software is still around or can be decoded by other audio players.

14 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

It looks like they're all on usenet right now, if you know how to do usenet.

Thanks - I don't, but will take a look at the weekend. Do you know if they are mp3s or flacs?

23 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

As long as you are searching, look for the two Neatwork cds with the alternates.

Thanks Chuck - will look for these too

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

They're all flacs and at least some come with scans of the booklets. The learning curve for usenet is steep however. Currently there is a shitload of Classics on usenet, damned near all of them it looks like, so if you want more than just Fletcher it would be worth your while to learn. Otherwise, maybe not. If you provide a list of all the CC volumes I can check other sources.

I appreciate the help. I think that this is the list (with the last one being jointly credited with Horace Henderson)

1921-23
1923-24
1924 v1
1924 v2
1924 v3
1924-25
1925-26
1926-27
1927-31
1931-32
1932-34
1934-37
1937-38
1940-41

Even though the internet is still your friend, I'm gonna be proactive here and say that instructions on using usenet or other pointers in that direction should not be provided in the public forum.

Cap'n, I removed the link from your post. Nothing personal.

The first sites posted contain self-contained links to unique records. You can't use them as a gateway to a whole other world of downloading pretty much anything and everything . Not true of Usenet, etc.

Perhaps a trivial distinction, but there it is. If there's a need to eliminate the other links here to demonstrate a more rigid intellectual consistency to the community, that will occur.

.Having said that, good luck to all in their searchings!