A very good Austrian Drummer died

Gheorghe

RIP Walter Grossrubatscher. Most of you might not have heard of him, maybe if you came by to a Viennese Jazz Club like the famous Jazzland and listened to some great international stars it might have been very possible that Walter was on drums.

He played with Woody Shaw, with Junior Mance, with Ray Bryant, that´s what I remember best. The gig with Woody was around 1987.

All those masters loved Walter´s drumming, they only had difficulties to pronounce his long name which sounds very unfamiliar to Americans. Only Woody Shaw, in whatever shaky condition he was in 1987, as he announced the musicians involved he memorized and pronounced "Walter Großrubatscher" without any difficulties.

We all will miss Walter, he left us too early, I think he was about 63 years old only......

Oh, my...  Saddened to hear this.  I heard Walter many times at Jazzland.  A very good, very adaptable drummer, and a lovely man.  It seems to me that 63 is much to young to die.  (I know Jim Galloway, the Scots/Canadian sax man who played Jazzland for many years knew how pronouce Walter's name, and loved playing with him.)

9 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Oh, my...  Saddened to hear this.  I heard Walter many times at Jazzland.  A very good, very adaptable drummer, and a lovely man.  It seems to me that 63 is much to young to die.  (I know Jim Galloway, the Scots/Canadian sax man who played Jazzland for many years knew how pronouce Walter's name, and loved playing with him.)

Yes, I remember Jim Galloway at Jazzland, and sure he loved playing with Walter.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't heard of him before, but this thread piqued my interest.  I ordered pianist Erwin Schmidt's Dorothy's Valentine, which has Mr. Großrubatscher on drums.  It's crazy to think of how most major cities have these musicians who are talented and respected but go without receiving wider recognition.  It is important to appreciate them.  Rest in peace, Mr. Großrubatscher.