Psychedelic Ornette

medjuck

12 hours ago, medjuck said:

I came across this while looking at old rock posters to buy for my wife for her birthday:

I was tempted to buy it  for myself but I have no more room on my walls.  

So what did you end up getting her for her birthday?

https://www.jazzdisco.org/ornette-coleman/discography/

Ornette Coleman Quartet

Dewey Redman, tenor sax; Ornette Coleman, violin, trumpet, alto sax; Charlie Haden, bass; Denardo Coleman as Ornette Denardo, drums.

"Hearst Greek Amphitheatre, Univ. Of California", Berkeley, CA, August 11, 1968
  C.O.D. Impulse! AS-9178
  Rainbows -
  New York -
  Bells And Chimes -
  Sun Suite Of San Francisco unissued

* Impulse! AS-9178   Ornette Coleman - Ornette At 12

5 hours ago, felser said:

So what did you end up getting her for her birthday?

This one:

IMG-1180.jpg

We've seen Van a few times but this is from before our time here  at a venue they no longer use for rock.  (He's playing the Santa Barbara Bowl this summer one of only 3 places he's playing in the US.) 

5 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

how about going for birthday tacos at la super rica

Took her to the new Miramar instead. We save Super Rica for when our son is home. 

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

This one:

IMG-1180.jpg

We've seen Van a few times but this is from before our time here  at a venue they no longer use for rock.  (He's playing the Santa Barbara Bowl this summer one of only 3 places he's playing in the US.) 

Ah, the good old days.  Four noteworthy acts on one bill, and the ticket was probably $5 or less.  Quicksilver Messenger Service in their pre-Dino Valente mighty prime, Van freaking Morrison around the time of 'Astral Weeks', Blue Cheer blowing the roof off in their "Summertime Blues" commercial prime (they did more varied and interesting music a few albums later), and Clear Light, a very good, very interesting L.A. group with the eerie but thought-provoking "Mr. Blue".  Sigh.  Also a very cool poster!

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

https://www.jazzdisco.org/ornette-coleman/discography/

Ornette Coleman Quartet

Dewey Redman, tenor sax; Ornette Coleman, violin, trumpet, alto sax; Charlie Haden, bass; Denardo Coleman as Ornette Denardo, drums.

"Hearst Greek Amphitheatre, Univ. Of California", Berkeley, CA, August 11, 1968
  C.O.D. Impulse! AS-9178
  Rainbows -
  New York -
  Bells And Chimes -
  Sun Suite Of San Francisco unissued

* Impulse! AS-9178   Ornette Coleman - Ornette At 12

Oh really ? Of course I have this record, but didn´t know it was recorded live. Same with Crisis, you don´t hear the audience, that´s why I first had thought it´s studio records.

I have both of them on LP, I don´t even know if they ever were reissued on CD.

9 hours ago, bertrand said:

So this Sun Suite could have been on the Ornette at 12/Crisis CD? That sucks.

Not if it wasn't recorded at all, or recorded badly, or performed badly.

otoh, maybe it's still in some vault somewhere waiting to be discovered, and maybe it's revelatory.

The issue was whether that was investigated at the time of the release. They also left off the Man on the Moon single...

That's why I said 'could have been'.

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh really ? Of course I have this record, but didn´t know it was recorded live. Same with Crisis, you don´t hear the audience, that´s why I first had thought it´s studio records.

I have both of them on LP, I don´t even know if they ever were reissued on CD.

They were on a twofer CD 2-3 years ago.

The audience can be heard on Ornette at 12.

Edited by bertrand

Realgone put out the twofer, right? We could start with them.

If they find it and it is releasable and Denardo says yes, and it is long enough, tack on the single and you have a great CD. Maybe there is more in the vaults. Is Crisis the full concert? Jazzdisco.org does not show more songs. But what is the Stating The Case from early 1970s? Live or studio? Someone put it out. Has anyone heard it?

Edited by bertrand

On 6/7/2019 at 6:31 PM, medjuck said:

This one:

IMG-1180.jpg

Took her to the new Miramar instead. We save Super Rica for when our son is home. 

a friend of my friend texted me a photo his friend took last summer from the line at La super Rica.....you'll never believe who was getting some tacos.  I shouldn't even say on here, Pm'ing you.