Suspension Railway In Wuppertal -- an amazing and imaginative turn-of-the-century piece of infrastructure

33 minutes ago, Patrick said:

You didn't happen to get stuck on the Red Line coming into work today?

Most of the time I just take Green/Yellow from Columbia Heights down to Gallery Place, and walk over.  But when I ride back home with my wife (she works over by Union Station), a lot of the time we go up to Fort Totten, and then back down to CH again from there.

Can you imagine having a regular commute on en elevated monorail, over a river?  This seems like a quintessential "retro-futuristic" sort of design, and I'm sure was very forward-thinking in it's time.  Hell, I think it's forward-thinking even now!

Some more historic footage...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Wuppertal, home of notable 40s/50s swing clarinetist Ernst Höllerhagen:

https://www.amazon.de/Sounds-like-Whoopataal-Neuauflage-2008/dp/3898614662

But what's made the Schwebeahn a "cult" institution of the town was this event (souvenir shop items linked to this event are marketed there to this day):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuffi

Always connected to another clarinet player, Peter Brotzmann, in my mind. Site of his art studio and where he studied art.

And as per my earlier post, Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch.

That's some artistic contribution

Edited by mjazzg

My mother who grew up in Wuppertal in the 50s and 60s would inevitably point out Peter Brötzmann's place down in the valley at some point on that line (the other highlight is the factory Friedrich Engrls inherited)...  many found memories of visiting my grandpa there who did'nt own/need a car because of that thing...