New all-analog LP

Michael Weiss

Seeking suggestions, advice etc. Responses welcome via private message.

I'm thinking of launching a Kickstarter campaign to issue an all-analog double LP of a recording I made some time ago, "Soul Journey" (Sintra).

It was recorded and mixed to analog tape by Joe Ferla at Avatar Studios and would be mastered by Bernie Grundman with a limited pressing of 500 150g LPs.

I'm trying to gauge the interest out there for a high quality all-analogue LP release among audiophiles for this kind of music.  The Kickstarter campaign will offer several premium support opportunities including signed and numbered copies, test pressings, 15ips 10" first generation master tape, scores and lead sheets. Any ideas and recommendations for reaching out via email, message boards, vinyl listening cafes, etc. appreciated.

Samples of the CD here: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/mweiss

I'd certainly order one!

Regarding the gauging of interest, isn't that what Kickstarter is all about? You don't have to move ahead with the project if you don't meet your goal.

The only other thing I can add is that "all analog" cutting is not automatic depending on where/how it is cut. I have heard that some cutters convert the audio to digital prior to the cut so that it makes it easier to cut. I know that Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio has an all-analog cutter and because of that, he is in demand from the audiophile labels.

I found this over on the Hoffman forums:

Neumann introduced new cutting equipment using digital delay instead of tape read-ahead in the late 1970s. Not everyone used those lathes, not everyone used the digital delay. It's the same now. There are a few cutting studios that have customised their Neumann lathes for analog look-ahead.

It's complicated because doing all analog means having a custom tape machine. With the digital delay any source can be used. There is also a custom digital look ahead system used by GZvinyl, that digitizes the master then syncs that to the analog, with the true analog signal going to the cutter and the digital driving the look-ahead. Lots of ways.

Most records state something like 'cut using the original analog tapes' and this could mean anything unless a better description can be coaxed out of the engineers. FWIW, I doubt you'll find a non-analog cut from any major audiophile label. 'audiophile' labelled disks from major labels, that's another thing.

I've never tracked down the (very proprietary) details of the Neumann delay. I don't believe that initially it was even actually digital, (as in A>>D>>A) but was a clocked analog delay line.

Edited by bresna

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...