Santana - Africa Speaks

GA Russell

I have listened to “Africa Speaks”in its entirety about twenty times and I think it is excellent.

It is uncompromising, strong and inspiring. It is one of the best things Santana has ever done.

Reading this thread, I wonder, did anyone who made negative comments hear the album in its entirety?

Edited by Hot Ptah

28 minutes ago, Hot Ptah said:

I have listened to “Africa Speaks”in its entirety about twenty times and I think it is excellent.

It is uncompromising, strong and inspiring. It is one of the best things Santana has ever done.

Reading this thread, I wonder, did anyone who made negative comments hear the album in its entirety?

Does Buika fit well? I'm still on the fence about getting this.

1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

I wouldn't mind hearing it, but that's different than buying it first.  I'll have to check out some of the youtube clips.  But as far is one of his best EVER - really?  This is the guy who did 'Caravanserai' and 'Lotus' and the brilliant first three albums and 'Borboletta'.  It measures up to those?

12 minutes ago, felser said:

I wouldn't mind hearing it, but that's different than buying it first.  I'll have to check out some of the youtube clips.  But as far is one of his best EVER - really?  This is the guy who did 'Caravanserai' and 'Lotus' and the brilliant first three albums and 'Borboletta'.  It measures up to those?

It is in the top ten of his career for me. No commercial pandering, just tough, intense music. His wife Cindy Blackman’s drumming is excellent throughout. 

What you are saying illustrates why I like to pay $10 a month for commercial free Spotify Premium. I can listen to virtually anything and decide whether I want to buy it. That is what I did before buying this album. 

Edited by Hot Ptah

55 minutes ago, Hot Ptah said:

What you are saying illustrates why I like to pay $10 a month for commercial free Spotify Premium. I can listen to virtually anything and decide whether I want to buy it. That is what I did before buying this album. 

I have Amazon Prime Music which is the same thing. Agreed about the advantage of listening to "virtually anything" before deciding to buy.

I am curious about this. It is an interesting phenomenon to me. Why did several members quickly jump onto this thread when it was first posted and make negative remarks, apparently without hearing the album?

Has this board developed a bit of good old boys club mentality where we sit around and poke fun at things for our private amusement? That can be fun if there is any real content to the negativity. 

This puzzles me. 

Edited by Hot Ptah

Santana has (at least) 20 years of dross weighing down his reputation, including several "meaningful" releases that weren't.  I doubt skepticism about this particular release is limited to the Organissimo "Old Boys Club" (our latest annual picture below):

Image result for old boys club

I saw Santsna live on July 11. I have seen Santana live several times since 1976 and this was the best live performance I have witnessed by the group. Cindy Blackman was incredible on drums, but the entire band was excellent. Only one song from “Africa Speaks” was performed and it fit in well with the rest of the program. 

9 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

I saw Santsna live on July 11. I have seen Santana live several times since 1976 and this was the best live performance I have witnessed by the group. Cindy Blackman was incredible on drums, but the entire band was excellent. Only one song from “Africa Speaks” was performed and it fit in well with the rest of the program. 

Who was/were the vocalist(s) for the live show?

3 hours ago, felser said:

Who was/were the vocalist(s) for the live show?

Andy Vargas and Ray Green (who also played trombone).  https://www.santana.com/players-current-lineup/

Some jazz things I liked:

an extended section of the recording “Sssh/Peaceful” from Miles Davis’ “In a Silent Way” was played over the sound system as the opening visuals were shown and the musicians came out onstage.  It ended when the musicians played their first notes of the evening.  

At the end of “Evil Ways”, the album cover of John Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme” was shown on the big screens and the band played a section of “Acknowledgment” from that album.  

Carlos spoke between songs about the Kansas City jazz history, calling Charlie Parker a genius and praising Count Basie. 

Edited by Hot Ptah

6 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Andy Vargas and Ray Green (who also played trombone).  https://www.santana.com/players-current-lineup/

Some jazz things I liked:

an extended section of the recording “Sssh/Peaceful” from Miles Davis’ “In a Silent Way” was played over the sound system as the opening visuals were shown and the musicians came out onstage.  It ended when the musicians played their first notes of the evening.  

At the end of “Evil Ways”, the album cover of John Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme” was shown on the big screens and the band played a section of “Acknowledgment” from that album.  

Carlos spoke between songs about the Kansas City jazz history, calling Charlie Parker a genius and praising Count Basie. 

Sounds like a good show.  I listened to sample of new album.  The singer is not my thing, but I can understand that they are playing honest music on it, hope to pick it up for a fuller hearing some day.