David Ortiz shot

Welcome update:

Ortiz's father, Leo, told reported outside the clinic that his son was out of danger and there was no damage to his major organs. He said he had no idea why someone would have shot at his son. "He is out of surgery and stable. He is resting," Leo Ortiz said. "’Big Papi’ will be around for a long time."

14 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

Welcome update:

Ortiz's father, Leo, told reported outside the clinic that his son was out of danger and there was no damage to his major organs. He said he had no idea why someone would have shot at his son. "He is out of surgery and stable. He is resting," Leo Ortiz said. "’Big Papi’ will be around for a long time."

I saw this but I am also hearing that he did have organs removed or partially removed, that the bullet went thru his stomach or intestines. He's also supposedly in ICU but yes, in stable condition. Scary for him and his family and worrisome for his fans.  Hopefully no complications, I'd rather he be at Mass Gen but I bet they can't fly him out anytime soon.

Latest from the Globe:

David Ortiz suffered organ damage from bullet during ambush at bar in Santo Domingo

Retired Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is recovering after suffering organ damage when he was shot in the back Sunday night in Santo Domingo.

Ortiz was hit by a bullet on his right side, according to a person briefed by his medical team. He experienced limited blood loss and is in stable condition, but part of his colon was removed, and he also suffered injuries to his gallbladder and limited damage to his liver, according to the person.

Marly Rivera of ESPN and ESPN Deportes tweeted that a representative for Ortiz said his final surgery at the Abel Gonzalez clinic ended at 3:30 a.m. Monday, and that he'll remain in intensive care for 24 hours.

The outlet El Nuevo Diario identified a suspect in the shooting as Eddy Feliz García. Officials said Monday that he had been transferred to police custody.

The newspaper Listín Diario reported that García has a drug trafficking past, citing police officials. Citing law enforcement, CBS reported that another suspect was being sought Monday.

I saw a report that indicated his gallbladder may have been removed.  I imagine more reliable details will be forthcoming.

He's a beloved icon in these parts.  In the past, I've heard other players and team officials name Ortiz as there favorite person associated with the team.

Here's a link to an article that discusses Ortiz:  https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2019/06/10/seen-firsthand-why-people-dominican-republic-adore-david-ortiz/GOIUktTPb6JXgx5B3JwveJ/story.html?event=event12

6 hours ago, jazztrain said:

I saw a report that indicated his gallbladder may have been removed.  I imagine more reliable details will be forthcoming.

His gallbladder and part of his intestines were removed. The Red Sox flew him back to Boston in the late afternoon, and tonight he's resting at Mass General. Prayers for Papi.

"Six years ago, David Ortiz's spirit and resolve helped us all begin to heal from the Boston Marathon bombing. Today, I want to join many others in wishing him a speedy recovery of his own. Get well soon, Papi." - Barak Obama

• 2 weeks later...