Kenny Burrell in 1948

Hardbopjazz

Thanks for posting. A nice piece of history. The Detroit area has produced so many excellent jazz musicians.

Kenny's first recording was "Tin Tin Deo", in 1951, with Diz.

(That composition was not recorded by Diz's first big band, as you might have expected, unlike other Diz classics, such as "Ow" and "Oop Bop Sh'Bam". The 1951 recording was its first appearance on disk.)

That is a great pic.  I wish that Uptown had released the Detroit compilation of jazz before Motown.  I remember writing Bob Sunenblick and he indicated that there had been a problem with a transfer but he seemed hopeful that it would see release.  At any rate, Detroit has been such a cradle for jazz talent.

16 minutes ago, Justin V said:

That is a great pic.  I wish that Uptown had released the Detroit compilation of jazz before Motown.  I remember writing Bob Sunenblick and he indicated that there had been a problem with a transfer but he seemed hopeful that it would see release.  At any rate, Detroit has been such a cradle for jazz talent.

Sorry for the  commercial, but I feel compelled to remind folks that my book "Jazz from Detroit" will be published in just three weeks on July 8 by the University of Michigan Press. The book explores Detroit's profound impact on jazz from the middle of the 20th Century until the present day. For more details -- including Playlists, various blog musings and music -- please visit my website: www.jazzfromdetroit.com. And if you'd like to pre-order, there's a discount code and link on the home page that will get you a 40% discount off of list price if you order through the U-M Press website.

Re: the picture of Burrell and Flanagan.

I had sought use of that photo for the book, but there were prohibitive issues in tracking down a Douglas family member to obtain rights. Even though the pictures are held in an archive at Cal State-Northridge, the university is not the copyright holder. 

Edited by Mark Stryker