Miles Davis’ lost album “Rubberband” set for release

ghost of miles

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Miles played some tunes from that period during the live shows. "Maze" I think he played on many occasions.

I had bought all the Warner Brothers albums when they came out, and went to all the shows when Miles was in town.

But 30 years later I must admit it wasn´t something made for me to last forever.

I have records that I bought when I was a teenager and still listen to them, and bought frequently new records, but if I spinned the Warner Brothers Albums more than 5 - 10 times after purchasing then, I might be very surprised.

Maybe I listened a bit more to "Siesta" for a period since I liked the spanish feeling, Tutu let´s say the theme song has it strong quality, but much of the rest the the album just bored me.

I spinned "Dingo" maybe 2 times, and "Doop bop" 1 time.....

Amandala's a bad sonufagun, don't overlook it.

But this Rubberband thing...sounds like the type of thing I'll look to pick up as a cheap used promo copy or something. Started in a fit of contractual pique, soon abandoned for much better things (sorry, but Side 1 of Tutu is a masterpiece, and people who are stuck only having heard it on CD might have no idea what that means in terms of real time impact), what are they rebuilding here? This ain't gonna be Panthalessa, or even Big Fun. I like Ledisi well enough, but she should be doing her own thing, Same thing for Lalah Hathaway, although left to my own devices, I'll go to Loleatta Holloway.

That Dingo, thing, though, that's a sad sack o' shit. And not necessarily because of Miles.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Same thing for Lalah Hathaway, although left to my own devices, I'll go to Loleatta Holloway.

Left to my own devices, I'll go to Lalah's father and Loleatta's big sister, though Lalah and especially Loleatta do each have their own merits.

What does Kenya Hathaway have to do with Loleatta Holloway?

I thought maybe felser was referring to Brenda Holloway, but there's no relation there.

This is all getting confusing, the record's probably going to be good-enough but totally non-Miles-y. and it's Friday. Time for a nap!

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I remember Miles played some tunes from that period during the live shows. "Maze" I think he played on many occasions.

I had bought all the Warner Brothers albums when they came out, and went to all the shows when Miles was in town.

But 30 years later I must admit it wasn´t something made for me to last forever.

I have records that I bought when I was a teenager and still listen to them, and bought frequently new records, but if I spinned the Warner Brothers Albums more than 5 - 10 times after purchasing then, I might be very surprised.

Maybe I listened a bit more to "Siesta" for a period since I liked the spanish feeling, Tutu let´s say the theme song has it strong quality, but much of the rest the the album just bored me.

I spinned "Dingo" maybe 2 times, and "Doop bop" 1 time.....

Same effect with me .... though still have a weak spot for Miles playing "Time After Time" .....

Well, I wish that were the case, but...Kenya is Lalah's younger sister (unless Wikipedia's is confused, and that's always a theoretical possibility)...so who is Loleatta Holloway's older sister that falser is talking about?

Let's remove the confusion and focus on what might well be the greatest disco record ever (from an outfit that made a lot of the worst disco records ever!):

BTW, Brenda and Patrice Holloway wrote "You've Made Me So Very Happy" as well as recording it.   She was a great lost opportunity for Motown (some of it her own doing, apparently).  Some wonderful material by her left in the can.

15 minutes ago, felser said:

BTW, Brenda and Patrice Holloway wrote "You've Made Me So Very Happy" as well as recording it.   She was a great lost opportunity for Motown (some of it her own doing, apparently).  Some wonderful material by her left in the can.

Yep ....

I never saw Miles until the Warner years (and glad I did!), but was never much interested in buying any of the albums. I should probably check out a couple of the ones suggested here.

Picture taken at Berkeley's Zellerbach Auditorium Aug 1, 1982

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

4 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

That 1985 date scares me. 

I at least half-concur with that.  When I moved to DC 8 years ago, and had to get rid of half my CD's -- 90% of my post-70's Miles CD's didn't survive the move.  I think(?) the only thing I kept was Aura, and maybe Miles & Quincy (not sure about that one).  As much as I dug and still mostly dig Tutu and Amandla, I just couldn't keep so damn much stuff (because of space, having moved into a 630 sq-ft 1BR apartment, for my wife and me).

I think I went from like 7,500 CD's, down to 3,500 (or something like that).  I have every Miles Columbia metal-spine box, and every "bootleg series" and 20 other one-off CD's -- so I figured something had to go (yes, even Miles) -- and it was practically all of Miles 80's/90's output that done went.  As often as I listened to it, I can stream it off YouTube if I really ever wanted to listen to those tunes again.

I will gladly listen to this new Rubberband disc, via streaming.  And if I find a cheap promo-CD of it sometime, I'll be temped.  But I can't imagine keeping it more than 5-10 years -- at some point, it'll have to go to.

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I at least half-concur with that.  When I moved to DC 8 years ago, and had to get rid of half my CD's -- 90% of my post-70's Miles CD's didn't survive the move.  I think(?) the only thing I kept was Aura, and maybe Miles & Quincy (not sure about that one).  As much as I dug and still mostly dig Tutu and Amandla, I just couldn't keep so damn much stuff (because of space, having moved into a 630 sq-ft 1BR apartment, for my wife and me).

I think I went from like 7,500 CD's, down to 3,500 (or something like that).  I have every Miles Columbia metal-spine box, and every "bootleg series" and 20 other one-off CD's -- so I figured something had to go (yes, even Miles) -- and it was practically all of Miles 80's/90's output that done went.  As often as I listened to it, I can stream it off YouTube if I really ever wanted to listen to those tunes again.

I will gladly listen to this new Rubberband disc, via streaming.  And if I find a cheap promo-CD of it sometime, I'll be temped.  But I can't imagine keeping it more than 5-10 years -- at some point, it'll have to go to.

The older I get and the more records I accumulate, I tend to want the best albums by a wider range of artists, rather than everything by my favorite artists.