Miles Davis’ lost album “Rubberband” set for release

ghost of miles

16 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

We'll agree to disagree.  

I've never really understood this phrase, "agree to disagree"...a difference of opinion naturally occurs, it is not negotiated. Regardless of if we do it civilly or otherwise, the disagreement still exists.

If we agree to not disagree, then we agree (to at least some meaningful extent). And if we don't agree to disagree, then what...does that place us at agreement again?

I think it's just code for "I think you're full of shit, but I ain't gonna waste my time talking about it with you", but hey, why be direct when there's euphemism available? :g

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2925961_20180119212128_105581.png  ei?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plaympe.com%2Febla
cover

MILES DAVIS

UNRELEASED ALBUM

RUBBERBAND

ON YOUR DESK NOW

Jazz Radio Add Date: September 9, 2019

Album Release Date: September 6, 2019

FOCUS TRACKS

1.   "Rubberband Of Life" - featuring Ledisi
3.   "Paradise" 
4.   "So Emotional" - featuring Lalah Hathaway 
5.   "Give It Up"

Miles Davis shocked the music world in 1985 when he left Columbia Records after 30 years to join Warner Bros. Records. In October of that year, he began recording the album Rubberband in Los Angeles at Ameraycan Studios with producers Randy Hall and Zane Giles. The musical direction Davis was taking during the sessions marked a radical departure, with the inclusion of funk and soul grooves; with plans to feature guest vocalists Al Jarreau and Chaka Khan. Eventually, the album was shelved and Davis went on to record Tutu, leaving the Rubberband songs unheard and untouched for over 30 years.

Rhino is set to release the entire 11-song Rubberband album on September 6 on CD, digitally, and as a 180-gram 2-LP set. It was finished by the original producers Hall and Giles; with Davis' nephew, Vince Wilburn, Jr., who played drums on the original sessions for the album in 1985-86. The cover art for the album is a Davis original painting from the time.

RUBBERBAND

Track Listing

1.   "Rubberband Of Life" - featuring Ledisi

2.   "This Is It"

3.   "Paradise"

4.   "So Emotional" - featuring Lalah Hathaway

5.   "Give It Up"

6.   "Maze"

7.   "Carnival Time"

8.   "I Love What We Make Together" - featuring Randy Hall

9.   "See I See"

10.  "Echoes In Time/The Wrinkle"

11.  "Rubberband"

Edited by GA Russell

I'm skimming it now. This is not really a "Miles Davis record", it seems to have undergone some/a lot of post-production(s). The cuts with vocals are the best things on here, actually. Either way, I think they made the right decision originally to abandon the project, and not the best musical decision to revive/rebuild it. Marcus Miller knew how to make a "contemporary Miles Davis record", these guys, not so much, and the rest is history.

But if this sells for the estate, hey, build that capital. That's important in a way quite apart from "music".

Me, I'll be looking for a cheap used copy at some point, probably, maybe. It's not a bad record, it's just not a particularly necessary one, as released or otherwise. I count 3-4 tunes max that could acceptably (imo) make it into a "real Miles Davis" playlist, if people still do that type of thing.

I just downloaded this today. And I'm kinda surprised by how much I don't hate it. 

Well, I do hate the four vocal tracks. With a burning passion. Yuck. I deleted them immediately. 

So that gives me a trimmed-down, 40-minute album, which is not bad. 

And the best of it is very much like Tutu-Amadala-era MIles. 

Several of these tunes were played by Miles live and can found in abundance on the MIles at Montreux set from 1985 on - Maze, Carnival Time, and Wrinkle. 

I know this will never be in my top-tier MIles albums - by a long shot, but I know I'll listen to it a lot more than On The Corner, Dark Magus and Live at the Philharmonic. 

It's funky, it's fun and MIles's trumpet is wonderful, as always. 

Long Live Miles!

Oh, one more comment, as many are commenting on all post-1980 Miles. 

We Want Miles is simply one of my favorite Miles albums. 

Who knows why? I just dig it and never get tired of it. 

All the other albums I bought when they came out and liked them all to a certain degree, but listen to them very, very rarely now. 

My favorite Tracks of that era include: 

Star People from Star People. A wonderful blues. Ms. Morrisine, Katia and Time After Time from YUA. Tutu and Don't Lose Your Mind from Tutu. 

Decoy and Amanda never really hit me between the eyes. Aura, I kind find of challenging. It's like nothing else he's done. It's very heady. But I revisit it once in a while and try to fathom it. 

Over and out. 

6 hours ago, Robert Middleton said:

Oh, one more comment, as many are commenting on all post-1980 Miles. 

We Want Miles is simply one of my favorite Miles albums. 

Who knows why? I just dig it and never get tired of it. 

All the other albums I bought when they came out and liked them all to a certain degree, but listen to them very, very rarely now. 

My favorite Tracks of that era include: 

Star People from Star People. A wonderful blues. Ms. Morrisine, Katia and Time After Time from YUA. Tutu and Don't Lose Your Mind from Tutu. 

Decoy and Amanda never really hit me between the eyes. Aura, I kind find of challenging. It's like nothing else he's done. It's very heady. But I revisit it once in a while and try to fathom it. 

Over and out. 

‘We Want Miles’ has great vitality as a live release I find, sort of like ‘Agharta’. Teo Macero did a good job once more. Al Foster’s drumming and the way it is captured in the recording are big plusses as well.

Edited by sidewinder

4 hours ago, David Ayers said:

While we’re at it, can anybody fill me in on this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Quintet-Miles-Davis/dp/B07TC5PNXS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=miles+davis&qid=1568441152&rnid=1642204031&s=music&sr=1-2

Oh! Robert! I see you already wrote this up on amazon!

http://www.plosin.com/MilesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=691109

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

‘We Want Miles’ has great vitality as a live release I find, sort of like ‘Agharta’. Teo Macero did a good job once more. Al Foster’s drumming and the way it is captured in the recording are big plusses as well.

I really liked this stripped down band. It’s very loose and spontaneous. But this band didn’t last long in this configuration without any keyboards. Favorite songs - Fat Time and My Man’s Gone Now.

9 hours ago, David Ayers said:

While we’re at it, can anybody fill me in on this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Quintet-Miles-Davis/dp/B07TC5PNXS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=miles+davis&qid=1568441152&rnid=1642204031&s=music&sr=1-2

Oh! Robert! I see you already wrote this up on amazon!

Yeah, I’ve really been getting into these four recordings. This was Miles at his most free and abstract, mostly due to Chick Corea’s playing. But then it really evolved into something else when Shorter left and Grossman and Jarret joined. Live at Fillmore less than a year later was a whole different animal. 

This is a bootleg, right?  Unless they are paying the licensing fees, I recommend downloading a free copy instead.

The Rotterdam concert was the last recording from the Lost Quintet’s fall tour of Europe and IMHO one of the best performances on that tour.  Good sound quality for a “bootleg”.  Wayne’s solo on “Directions” is phenomenal and “It’s About That Time” has lots of top-tier free improvisation.

The tracks are clearly mislabeled or maybe it’s missing some music.  The band played “Directions”, “Bitches Brew”, “I Fall in Love too Easily”, “Sanctuary”, “It’s About That Time” and “Masqualero”.

25 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

This is a bootleg, right?  Unless they are paying the licensing fees, I recommend downloading a free copy instead.

The Rotterdam concert was the last recording from the Lost Quintet’s fall tour of Europe and IMHO one of the best performances on that tour.  Good sound quality for a “bootleg”.  Wayne’s solo on “Directions” is phenomenal and “It’s About That Time” has lots of top-tier free improvisation.

The tracks are clearly mislabeled or maybe it’s missing some music.  The band played “Directions”, “Bitches Brew”, “I Fall in Love too Easily”, “Sanctuary”, “It’s About That Time” and “Masqualero”.

Well, as Lon would say, I don't do downloads. Who can be bothered really? I'll either stream or buy. Watch this space...

Edited by David Ayers

27 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, but remember that when your plastic fish come up from down in the the pool gasping for nitrogen.

I did buy one CD this year. It is quite good. For the rest, streaming...

PS Caught in a lie! It is FOUR CDs, and two downloads. Oh and a box set. Darn.

Oh and I put TWO box sets in my amazon basket and then took them out again.

And I've got one on pre-order.

That's what I call keeping up with the Lonsons.

Enjoying this one a LOT just at the moment:

On the question of what gets removed from Spotify - in this case likely as a result of Sue MIngus pursuing boots - take a look at my Mingus 1964 list from a few years ago:

fyi/fwiw - trees don't involve buying anything. The entire known live recordings of the Lost quintet were made available as a tree. That was a while back, though. BUT - there's nothing new under the sun, at least as far as this group goes. If you buy anything that's not "official", you're a sucker.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:27 PM, JSngry said:

fyi/fwiw - trees don't involve buying anything. The entire known live recordings of the Lost quintet were made available as a tree. That was a while back, though. BUT - there's nothing new under the sun, at least as far as this group goes. If you buy anything that's not "official", you're a sucker.

That’s quite a video!