Who's totally misreading the market?

felser

Just saw this in a new releases column (theseconddisc.com).  Do not understand who would buy these discs.  Only the Truly Converted are going to buy Resonance issues, and only the Merely Curious buy jazz best-of's. What (if anything) am I missing?

Bill-Evans-Smile-with-Your-Heart.jpg?res

Wes's Best: The Best of Wes Montgomery on Resonance

Edited by felser

20 minutes ago, felser said:

Just saw this in a new releases column (theseconddisc.com).  Do not understand who would buy these discs.  Only the Truly Converted are going to buy Resonance issues, and only the Merely Curious buy jazz best-of's. What (if anything) am I missing?

Bill-Evans-Smile-with-Your-Heart.jpg?res

Wes's Best: The Best of Wes Montgomery on Resonance

Truly strange!!:blink::alien::ph34r:

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Is it possible there are people interested in Wes who don't want every single thing Resonance has put out? They must think so ...

Why would they buy a Resonance Wes, rather than, say

Image result for wes montgomery with the wynton kelly trio - half note

1 hour ago, felser said:

Why would they buy a Resonance Wes, rather than, say

Image result for wes montgomery with the wynton kelly trio - half note

I don't know someone who has that one? Someone who has a few Wes CDs and heard about new archival recordings but isn't an insane collector who has to have it all? 

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

People who give the gift of a jazz cd to their non-jazzliker friends in hopes that the presentation will be palatable and/or inspiring.

Throughout the last 10 years or more, I have several times given as a gift the 2001 Impulse CD John Coltrane Spiritual.

Yes, but maybe the artist (passed on or still with us) might think that the " presentation will be palatable and/or inspiring" would be best served by catalogue items approved, issued and royalties-paid-on.

Very, very, very few "performance/live" recordings are up to the standards serious artists would approve, especially if the source is a on-off local radio taping.  I know, I've done hundreds of them, and the artists have agreed to a ONE TIME broadcast to promote the week-long gig, and nothing else.  (Yet, with their approval, lots of my tapings have been issued.) 

1 hour ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Yes, but maybe the artist (passed on or still with us) might think that the " presentation will be palatable and/or inspiring" would be best served by catalogue items approved, issued and royalties-paid-on.

Is Resonance releasing work w/o making the appropriate deals with artists/estates/etc?

First I've heard of it if they aren't.

3 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Not that I have heard, but hungry relatives can damage the reputations of "loved ones".

Nor have I heard anything about Resonance.  I know that Bill Evans was not happy when unapproved takes were later included in re-issues.  I know of a Toronto musician who would stay after a session to erase unwanted material.