Duke

Hardbopjazz

39 minutes ago, kinuta said:

I once had fun explaining what a telex and telegram were.

I'm 50, and have to confess I have no real specific idea what 'telex' refers to. Not a term I think I've ever heard before -- or if so, not for 20-30 years (long enough a to have completely forgotten about it).

I did work on-air at a small-town commercial AM-FM pair of sister stations back in college (circa 1989-92), and they had an AP wire machine, so I'm guessing(?) it must be something like that maybe?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I’d like to say that it’s sad that people don’t know what a telex is but I guess it’s a sign of the times.  You can probably call it a precursor of the fax, which, too, is outdated. 

When I was starting out as an attorney, we had a typist pool but I’d say by 1990, they were on the way out. We used to send changes on contracts back and forth by fax and show changes to drafts by hand, which, if it was a complicated contract, took time to make. This all started to change around 1998 when your computer could show the changes (a process that took about five seconds) and revised documents were emailed back and forth. The only thing you needed faxes for were signature pages but when pdf came along, we didn’t need fax machines either. 

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Faxes ain't done yet - anyone who works in an insurance office gets at least one a day from a lender needing to update the mortgagee clause on a homeowner's policy. And all of them take faxes back with proof of the change.

True, but in agreements I work on I try to remove faxes as a means of communication because numbers change and they're not a reliable form of notification.  However, people still want to use them. 

1 hour ago, Stonewall15 said:

You ought to try to explain what a slide rule is.

Ah, well THAT I definitely know.  My father was a mechanical engineer (who went to college back in the mid-to-late 40's), and he even taught me how to use one back when I was in junior high (early 80's) I can probably still do rudimentary multiplication on one, if you give me 10 minutes to play around with it until I remember the process (but I was half-lost doing division back when I was in high-school, despite my dad's best efforts to teach me).

In fact, I still have both his slide rules to this day, here with me in DC.  I'd rank there somewhere between simply nifty, and something I'll "cherish" (not sure which word bisects those two extremes on the scale of 'likability').

On 23/06/2019 at 6:23 PM, HutchFan said:

Duke was a pitch man for Olivetti typewriters in the late-60s. I'm fairly sure that this photo is from one of their advertisements.

It is. And the photograph & ad are by famous graphic designer Henry Wolf. Among other things, Wolf (sort of jazz connexion alert) was art director at Esquire magazine.

17 hours ago, Stonewall15 said:

You ought to try to explain what a slide rule is.

I used a slide rule when I was in boarding school in M'Babane, '68 to '71. 

That ad makes very good use of shades of blue.

Edited by jazzbo