Basie Band - Blazing Saddles

Dan Gould

Have always wondered whenever I catch the film - just who is in the Basie Band for that 5 seconds or however long it lasts? Just found a snip of the scene, so who is on screen?  I'm sure its KB on guitar (though I don't know that he ever actually performed with Basie otherwise?). But who are the reed section?

Blazing Saddles - Basie Band.JPG

"Blazing Saddles" was released in 1974, which means this scene was probably shot sometime in 1973? Basie didn't do much recording that year (he'd started with Pablo the year before, mostly doing small groups), but my guess would be Bobby Plater and Curtis Peagler on altos, Eric Dixon and Lockjaw on tenor, and John C. Williams on Bari. That's probably Norman Keenan on bass. As for the drummer, Sonny Payne was drumming for him in 1973, but that looks to me like Harold Jones. And that should be Freddie Green on guitar rather than KB.  Looks to me like it might be Freddie. The brass section changed a lot during that period, but I imagine Sonny Cohn is on trumpet, and Al Grey could be sitting in the trombone section.

gregmo

Count Basie and his Orchestra: Marshall Royal, Teddy Edwards, J. J. Kelson, Fred Jackson, Herman Riley, saxes; Al Aarons, Cat Anderson, Thomas Cortez, Julius Brooks, trumpet; Britt Woodman, Benny Powell, Lawrence Loften, Maurice Spears, trombone; Count Basie, piano; John Collins, guitar; Red Callender, acoustic double bass; Harold Jones, drums. (Personnel on Camera)

Recording musicians for "April in Paris":- Harry Klee, Wilbur Schwartz, Joe Soldo, John Rotella, Bob Tricarico, woodwinds; Bud Brisbois, Snooky Young, Tony Terran, Pincus Savitt, trumpet; Hoyt Bohannon, Lloyd Ulyate, Phil Teele, John Bainbridge, trombone; Ralph Grierson, keyboards; Al Hendrickson, guitar; Tommy Morgan, harmonica; Rolly Bundock, acoustic double bass; Dale Anderson, percussion

As can be seen from the above personnel neither of the two bands involved with "April in Paris" is actually Count Basie's. On camera, Basie himself is leading a band of Los Angeles sideline musicians; in November 1973 the music was recorded later in the studio by the listed Los Angeles session musicians. Of course, many of the musicians from both groups had, at one time or another in their careers, played with Count Basie...

From https://www.loc.gov/item/jots.200013902/

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

"Blazing Saddles" was released in 1974, which means this scene was probably shot sometime in 1973? Basie didn't do much recording that year (he'd started with Pablo the year before, mostly doing small groups), but my guess would be Bobby Plater and Curtis Peagler on altos, Eric Dixon and Lockjaw on tenor, and John C. Williams on Bari. That's probably Norman Keenan on bass. As for the drummer, Sonny Payne was drumming for him in 1973, but that looks to me like Harold Jones. And that should be Freddie Green on guitar rather than KB.  Looks to me like it might be Freddie. The brass section changed a lot during that period, but I imagine Sonny Cohn is on trumpet, and Al Grey could be sitting in the trombone section.

gregmo

Released in February '74 which means it was definitely shot in '73 probably no later than summer. 

12 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Count Basie and his Orchestra: Marshall Royal, Teddy Edwards, J. J. Kelson, Fred Jackson, Herman Riley, saxes; Al Aarons, Cat Anderson, Thomas Cortez, Julius Brooks, trumpet; Britt Woodman, Benny Powell, Lawrence Loften, Maurice Spears, trombone; Count Basie, piano; John Collins, guitar; Red Callender, acoustic double bass; Harold Jones, drums. (Personnel on Camera)

Recording musicians for "April in Paris":- Harry Klee, Wilbur Schwartz, Joe Soldo, John Rotella, Bob Tricarico, woodwinds; Bud Brisbois, Snooky Young, Tony Terran, Pincus Savitt, trumpet; Hoyt Bohannon, Lloyd Ulyate, Phil Teele, John Bainbridge, trombone; Ralph Grierson, keyboards; Al Hendrickson, guitar; Tommy Morgan, harmonica; Rolly Bundock, acoustic double bass; Dale Anderson, percussion

As can be seen from the above personnel neither of the two bands involved with "April in Paris" is actually Count Basie's. On camera, Basie himself is leading a band of Los Angeles sideline musicians; in November 1973 the music was recorded later in the studio by the listed Los Angeles session musicians. Of course, many of the musicians from both groups had, at one time or another in their careers, played with Count Basie...

From https://www.loc.gov/item/jots.200013902/

Thanks Daniel!