Bud Powell at the Library of Congress.

Hardbopjazz

I do have a discography of Bud Powell. The second and third dates have been issued on a Fresh Sounds CD. The first three tracks are listed as unissued. Does anyone know if tracks 1 - 3 have ever been issued?

• Program and biographical notes inserted in container.
  • Tracks 1-3 recorded Feb. 7, 1953; tracks 4-8 recorded Feb. 14, 1953; tracks 9-10 recorded Mar. 7, 1953; all tracks recorded live at Birdland for broadcast on WJZ-FM.

Tea for two -- It could happen to you -- Lover come back to me -- Lullaby of Birdland -- I want to be happy -- Embraceable you -- I've got you under my skin -- Ornithology -- Hallelujah -- How high the moon.

https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchCode=LCCN&searchArg=2017605369&searchType=1&permalink=y

I think the winter broadcasts with Oscar Pettiford and Roy Haynes are the best from all 1953 Bud Birdland broadcasts especially for the tunes he chose. Later, from summer 1953 on his performances became a routine, he played to many tunes in the same key (F) and did dozens of versions of the same tunes (I´ve got you under my Skin, I want to be happy etc.).

But what really knocked me out is the few tracks on Summer Broadcasts with Bird and Candido.

But when I was young, the following LP really puzzled me: It was from those cheap Musidisk LPs, an easy way for us Europeans to buy records. It´s titled "From Birdland 1956" and has listed Paul Chambers and Art Taylor but as soon as I heard it I knew it must have been earlier and with another bassist and drummer, so soon it became clear that it was the "Winter Broadcasts" from the ESP label.

I think ESP tried to publish as much Bud as they could since Bernard Stollman would have liked to be Bud´s "manager". They also issued some Bud in Paris at Blue Note 1961 and also Bud´s very last appearance in a studio in the mid sixties was intentioned to be for Stollman´s label but years later was published on Mainstream with no informations at all and wrong recording dates (Ups´n Downs).

images.jpg

Edited by Gheorghe