Denny Zeitlin's "Remembering Miles"

Larry Kart

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

What is he remembering, exactly? Are these recovered memories, repressed memories, vivid memories, just what?

Denny is remembering musically what Miles in general and specific Miles or Miles-associated pieces (e.g. "Stablemates," "Dear Old Stockholm")  meant to him. What's so hard to understand? BTW, Denny's take on "Stablemates" is from outer space.

I'd like the good doctor to help me with this one, though - my first exposure to his playing was ca. 1976, a college buddy from the SF area came to NT really enthused about his (Zeitlin's) playing, and had a couple of his Columbia records. I kept checking them out, or more accurately, TRIED to check them out. No matter the record, no matter which side of the record, I was asleep by then end of the side. Every time. Literally every time.

And this went on for about a year. I'd borrow the records for a weekend, put them on, and drift right off. Try again, same thing. Take them back, wait a month or two, borrow them again, put them on again, out like a light in about 10 minutes. This went on for about a year. Finally, hey.

I didn't know if the guy had subliminal hypnotic messages recorded into his records or what. But I've never tried to listen to him since then. I'm sure he's a wonderful player, but if you'd have the experience that I had, you too might just want to leave well enough alone. Plenty of other piano players!

I can see why you might not be dragged into Zeitlin's playing at all times. I like him best on short, condensed tracks like this one:

I like the composition, and the solo sort of paints a picture during its short duration. I sometimes hear this tune inside my head. 

I have not followed Zeitlin closely in later years, but mainly know him from the Columbia albums. I might return to other pianists/albums more often, but sometimes I am in the right mood for them.