Monk and Bud.

Hardbopjazz

Close association and mutual respect I would say. Monk wrote "In Walked Bud" and Bud recorded Monk's "Off Minor". (I'm sure there are other examples.) And then there was that run in with the police over possession where both of them were involved (as well as the baroness).

Monk and Bud were good friends.

The Baroness wasn't around when Monk took the blame for a spliff, or whatever Bud had, when the redneck N.Y. police harassed them. Monk knew that Bud could not survive another police ordeal, having already been savagely beaten by them, so he took the rap (and then couldn't play in New York until the summer of 1957). 

The incident with the Baroness occurred in 1958, when Pannonica drove Monk and Rouse to an engagement in Baltimore. The trouble was in Delaware, and took years to clear up, in spite of Pannonica having access to top attorneys.

From a bebop pianistic point of view, I think Bud may have been the ideal interpreter of Monk's music. I can't think of more convincing versions of the Monk tunes Bud recorded.

Blue Note or another label should have suggested a "Bud Plays Monk" album, like the posthumously issued "Bud Plays Bird".

Edited by mikeweil

What we have is:

Off Minor - Roost, January 10, 1947

'Round Midnight - Norgran, December 16, 1954

Epistrophy - Verve, January 13, 1955

album "A Portrait of Thelonious" - French Columbia, December 17, 1961

some more Monk tunes are on the various live recordings after 1962. 

"A Portrait of Thelonious" only has some Monk tunes, it´s not a whole Monkt tunes album.

But listen to the Mythic Sound CD "A Tribute to Thelonious" from 1964, it has only Monk tunes, the first half of the album is solo and done in the Paris Appartment, and the trio stuff is with John Ore and J.C. Moses.

The photo I think was early 1964 when Monk came to Paris and was greeted by Bud on  the Airport.

And there was a tour in  spring 1961 with both Monk and Bud, I think it was some Italian towns, among them San Remo. Bud played the first half, and then Monk, there´s also a CD about it "Pianology" with the stuff Bud did and some by Monk.

I have the French cd with the liner notes by Francis Paudras (spelling?), it includes the photo above on the cd cover slip. The notes confirm the lasting friendship between Monk and Bud, I recall the Kelley bio mentions that Monk, Bud and Elmo Hope spent a good deal of time hanging out and playing for each other, sometimes encouraged by Mary Lou Williams, who was an early booster of Monk's talent. Immense mutual respect.

On 7.7.2019 at 10:08 PM, imeanyou said:

I have the French cd with the liner notes by Francis Paudras (spelling?), it includes the photo above on the cd cover slip. The notes confirm the lasting friendship between Monk and Bud, I recall the Kelley bio mentions that Monk, Bud and Elmo Hope spent a good deal of time hanging out and playing for each other, sometimes encouraged by Mary Lou Williams, who was an early booster of Monk's talent. Immense mutual respect.

Monk tellling Bud "I´ll make the Aeroplane for you" :D. You remember this remark ? Monk made a weird Sound on his piano, which was coverd with a lot of glasses and dishes and Bud was fascinated by this Sound. 

Bud playing "Ruby My Dear" at Birdland 1964, and when they listened back to the tape at Ornettes place, Bud said to Monk " Hey Monk get us some wine"

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Monk tellling Bud "I´ll make the Aeroplane for you" :D. You remember this remark ? Monk made a weird Sound on his piano, which was coverd with a lot of glasses and dishes and Bud was fascinated by this Sound. 

Bud playing "Ruby My Dear" at Birdland 1964, and when they listened back to the tape at Ornettes place, Bud said to Monk " Hey Monk get us some wine"

😁 ....