Autobiography or biography recommendations

On the subject of "warts and all" portrayals, Donald Maggin's bio of Stan Getz might be of interest. Plenty of warts on view; I didn't know that much about Getz before reading and was quite shocked. Overall probably not at the same high level as other recommendations on this thread, however.

Edited by T.D.

35 minutes ago, T.D. said:

If you're interested in "warts and all" portrayals, Donald Maggin's bio of Stan Getz might be of interest. Plenty of warts on view; I didn't know that much about Getz before reading and was quite shocked. Overall probably not at the same high level as other recommendations on this thread, however.

Maggin's book is pretty good, as is (if not previously mentioned) Peter Pettinger's Bill Evans bio.

I've just started on "Bassically Speaking: An Oral History of George Duvivier" by Edward Berger. A great book about a GREAT man.

There are many interviews done with some of his contemporaries, including a lot of input from another great bass player and man, The Judge, who tells the real story behind the arrangement of Bobby Darin's massive hit, "Mack the Knife".

It turns out Judge, Hank Jones, Osie Johnson and Barry Galbraith came up with it in the studio, and didn't get arranger's credit for it. Instead, credit was given to some POS who had nothing to do with it, and he had the nerve to complain about not winning a Grammy for it. Hinton, Jones, Johnson, and Galbraith got their standard pay for the session, $41.25!!!!!! This wasn't an isolated incident....

9 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

It's a shame that Iola Brubeck's biography of her husband remains unpublished. Evidnetly it was near completion around the time of her death and it remains in the family's hands.

I keep hoping that that book will eventually see the light of day.  In the meantime, there is also this outstanding related biography to enjoy:

514C8A43B2L.jpg

Thanks again guys for all the recommendations! To be honest: I don’t even know some of the artists mentioned :ph34r: well I am young and have to learn Of course haha!

The link to all those autobiographies was very useful, thanks. My selection for the two weeks will be: Art Pepper’s, Miles Davis’, Hampton Hawes’ and Billie Holiday’s. And the book As Serious as Your Life. 

All the other ones mentioned are on my newly created wantlist. Bud Powells and Chet Bakers up front :)

It is frustrating that I can't take a look at my books on the shelves, as they are all boxed up at our new house. Doug Ramsey's bio of Paul Desmond is simply one of the best and most thorough works I've read. I should add Paul deBarro's bio of Marian McPartland, Shall We Play That One Together?

Edited by Ken Dryden

Pim, if Anthony Braxton's music floats your boat, I'd strongly recommend Graham Lock's Forces in Motion. It's recently been reissued. I think it's one of the most interesting book-length portraits of an artist that I've read.

51QrwbVCVlL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dave Liebman's What It Is: The Life of a Jazz Artist is another favorite.  Features some very honest writing about the pleasures & difficulties of the jazz life.

41SxMS8PIML.jpg

23 hours ago, T.D. said:

On the subject of "warts and all" portrayals, Donald Maggin's bio of Stan Getz might be of interest. Plenty of warts on view; I didn't know that much about Getz before reading and was quite shocked. Overall probably not at the same high level as other recommendations on this thread, however.

T.D., I agree with Larry. I think Maggin's bio of Getz is very solid -- and well worth reading. (However, I was somewhat disappointed with Maggin's Dizzy bio.)

On 1.7.2019 at 1:12 AM, HutchFan said:

Pim, if Anthony Braxton's music floats your boat, I'd strongly recommend Graham Lock's Forces in Motion. It's recently been reissued. I think it's one of the most interesting book-length portraits of an artist that I've read.

51QrwbVCVlL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dave Liebman's What It Is: The Life of a Jazz Artist is another favorite.  Features some very honest writing about the pleasures & difficulties of the jazz life.

41SxMS8PIML.jpg

Must have that, didn´t know there´s a Dave Liebman bio. He is one of the first jazz artists I admired. I think it was short time after he had left Miles.

I remember well when I was younger somebody borrowed me a book written by Ronnie Scott which was very interesting. Great stories About musicians who played there, I think the late Coleman Hawkins, Bill Evans , and many others. 

A friend of mine was on London during the time Dizzy played at Ronnie Scott I think with a larger Group with Al Gafa on guitar, About the stuff he recorded for his Pablo Album "Bahia"......

Sue Mingus' book on Mingus is brilliantly done.

I think the Jo Jones bio is terrible, just nothing there, mostly his ravings in his later, insanity years.

Dickey Well, Night People, is a classic.

Terry Gibbs' autobiography is as much fun as Terry himself.

Beneath the Underdog, Mingus, is a landmark.

@AllenLowe:

Agreed : Sue Mingus´ book is Wonderful, but it also made me sad , to read how much poor Mr. Mingus had to suffer from that terrible terminal illness, I mean wheelchair is one Thing, but not even able to move your Hands that´s too much. 

About Jo Jones: Once there was a German old time Pianist and writer his Name was Gunter Boas I think and he wrote an Essay About a visit he made to Harlem, where he met Milt Hinton and others and told About a bar where Jo Jones sat at a table drinkin and drinkin. This was in the late 70´s. And he stated that he was warned to try to make a conversation with Jo Jones, since this could become a very unpleasant experience. 

But strange: On a Dizzy Video from 1982 (Dizzy´s Dream Band) Max Roach Plays a Hi Hat solo dedicated to Jo Jones and then they brought Mr. Jo Jones out for Applause. He was top dressed, had a cane and took a bow, but he did not Play...…..

11 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

I think the Jo Jones bio is terrible, just nothing there, mostly his ravings in his later, insanity years.

Dickey Well, Night People, is a classic.

Terry Gibbs' autobiography is as much fun as Terry himself.

Thanks, you're comforting me. The other day I had briefly put the Jo Jones bio in my Amazon cart bnefore putting it on hold again as I found it less essential compared to other items I was about to order.
Agreed about the Dicky Wells and Terry Gibbs autobiogaphies. Very good reads (each in its own way).

Another one I have always been intrigued about is the "Harlem Jazz Anecdotes" book by Timme Rosenkrantz but during the past several years I have never come across a decently priced and affordable copy. Even by Scarecrow yardsticks this goes for insane prices, even secondhand. Came across excerpts from the book accessible online on google.books. Fascinating insights into the swing era. Those who like the Dicky Wells book should appreciate that one too.

I think Jo Jones' ravings are epic in nature. Whether they or him are in the least bit "sane" is relevant in a court of law, a patent review, or maybe a science journal, but apart from that, the applicable relevant of that criteria eludes me, as does whether or not one might find Jo Jones to be unpleasant. My fundamental faith in the driving principles of all universes known and unknown would be destroyed if that was NOT true.

On 7/11/2019 at 4:28 PM, JSngry said:

I think Jo Jones' ravings are epic in nature. Whether they or him are in the least bit "sane" is relevant in a court of law, a patent review, or maybe a science journal, but apart from that, the applicable relevant of that criteria eludes me, as does whether or not one might find Jo Jones to be unpleasant. My fundamental faith in the driving principles of all universes known and unknown would be destroyed if that was NOT true.

problem is that in the book they are very uninteresting. To me at least.

As for Jones, in those years (the '70s) friends of mine used to drop him periodically at NYU hospital in Brooklyn to dry out, but it never lasted.

I asked Al Haig to come with me one night to hear Jones when he was playing, and he said he refused to be in the same room. Jones at that point was beyond just crazy, but a lunatic and occasionally dangerous.

1 hour ago, AllenLowe said:

problem is that in the book they are very uninteresting. To me at least.

As for Jones, in those years (the '70s) friends of mine used to drop him periodically at NYU hospital in Brooklyn to dry out, but it never lasted.

I asked Al Haig to come with me one night to hear Jones when he was playing, and he said he refused to be in the same room. Jones at that point was beyond just crazy, but a lunatic and occasionally dangerous.

Yeah, but he's dead now. Immediate threat removed.

Those incredibly lucid rants, though, live on.

As for the book itself, I think it's kinda like the Bible (either testament), just read a bit here and there rather than the whole thing end to end. That's how it/they were created, and probably how they're best experienced.

31 minutes ago, JSngry said:

As for the book itself, I think it's kinda like the Bible (either testament), just read a bit here and there rather than the whole thing end to end. That's how it/they were created, and probably how they're best experienced.

A strategy even better applied to Bill Crow's "Jazz Anecdotes". ^_^

• 2 years later...
On 7/1/2019 at 8:13 PM, T.D. said:

I just reserved it from our State's public library system. Looking forward to reading..

• 4 weeks later...