Anthony Cox

HutchFan

Lately, I've been regularly spinning Anthony Cox's first two CDs as a leader -- Dark Metals (Antilles/Minor Music, 1991) and Factor of Faces (Minor Music, 1993).  I only picked them up in the last few months, and I'm really enjoying them.  Excellent playing & compositions -- but not necessarily in an in-your-face way. So, for example, he's groovy -- but not too groovy. The groove doesn't gobble up all the musical space. It's woven into the fabric; it's always musical.

I think I first became aware of Cox's name years ago on Joe Lovano's Sounds of Joy (Enja, 1991), which is another outstanding record.

I've also enjoyed Cox's playing with Jack Walrath, Geri Allen, Gary Thomas, and David Friedman. 

Looking at Cox's discogs entry, I see that he's played regularly with Marty Ehrlich. More to investigate. (Has anyone heard these?)

I know that Cox is from Minneapolis. Did I read somewhere that he's moved back there?

So... what say you?  Do you have thoughts about Anthony Cox?  Favorite records?  Memories of seeing him live?

Edited by HutchFan

On 3.7.2019 at 8:27 PM, Д.Д. said:

Steve Lacy - Anthony Cox - Daniel Humair "Work" on Sketch is a phenomenal record. Everybody shines. 

Thanks - just ordered a copy!

R-2447887-1284578870.jpeg.jpg

Saw Cox in a David Murray group many years ago, liked his big sound and rhythmic clarity. I love those two CDs on MInor Music!

Has anybody heard his solo bass CD?

R-4970533-1380969061-5180.jpeg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another nice one is Mike Nock's Trio "Not We But One" on Naxos: https://www.discogs.com/Mike-Nock-Trio-Not-We-But-One/release/4153597 . Cox is very prominent here. I think the drummer Tony Reedus is needlessly hyperactive here, but it's a nice record nonetheless.  

I have Cox's solo on Sketch. Haven't listened to it in ages, but I do remember finding it good but not great. The sound is excellent, but does not have the range of ideas of the best solo bass records (like the ones from Barre Phillips or Joelle Leandre or Mark Dresser or Paul Rogers), IMHO.