Buying eyeglasses online

Are you after just reading glasses, or do you want comprehensive glasses? In the latter case, you should have a test by an optometrist. Perhaps you have already had one, in which case you will have a proper prescription.

Reading glasses are a much simpler proposition, and you can easily get them online, provided that they are in the range of about 1.5 to 3.5 diopters. I only use reading glasses and mine were purchased online. Earlier, I got some at Costco.

My saxophone mentor was an optometrist, so I am fairly familiar with the subject.

I am curious about this as I definitely am in need of both new frames and a new prescription.  Funny I see above so many names I've never heard before, only keep seeing those Warby something or other commercials.  I always have to discount any of the starting prices listed as I know my lenses are going to go higher for some reason. One positive lately is that I always hated those tiny, square or rectangular frames that got so popular.  The last time I got new frames I couldn't find anything I liked until the clerk at Lenscrafters lifted up the top of a padded box to reveal a few aviator frames they didn't even display.

Now I understand aviators have made a comeback so hopefully I can find something when I get around to this necessary expense.

25 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

That's funny: I'm ordering aviators and I wasn't aware they were "cool" again, or maybe I did subconsciously .

It seems to be ... In recent times I've noticed (prescription) aviators (not sunglasses) on the (very) younger set in a couple of cases, even on females, in particular.

As for the initial question, after longish searching and comparing (lots of online offers don't appear competent and/or accurate to me) and after having bought my first pairs of progressives at local opticians I ordered a set of progressives online 3-4 years ago and was very satisfied - and then another one last year. No complaints, including after comparisons with what local opticians supply you with. But you can NOT generalize and it is a matter of "trial and error" and you should not expect wonders. FWIW, my prescription for progressives isn't a very complicated one either.

So this online glasses thing, you still need a prescription from a real doctor right, this isn't like those clothes ads i see on the tv set where they say let your phone measure you right now for this shirt and these pants and we'll have them to you lickety-split, not at all like that, correct?

I got my last pair online, about a year ago.  Had my eye exam locally, and then visited a number of eyeglass shops and tried on various different pairs until I found the pair I liked the most.  Wrote down the model number and then researched online pricing, and found the place with the best price (and one that was reputable), and ordered.  Saved substantially over buying them locally.

I think the key is trying them on locally before buying, so you know that you're going to like the fit/look, instead of buying online before getting to try them on.

Note - usually I prefer to buy and support local shops, but if I am saving over $100 on a purchase that I only make every few years at best, then it became worth it.  If the price difference had been $25, I'd have bought locally (although even then that was at a national chain shop).

Edited by Aggie87

So other than when I was a kid. I've only had my one (current) pair of perscription glasses, which are actually *progressive* lenses. Got 'em about 6 years ago, and their actually clear glass up top (my distance vision was great), and simple 2x magnification down at the bottom. And cuz they're progressive, the magnification is smoothly increasing between 1x in the middle (no magnification at all), up to 2x down towards the bottom.

The ONE part of the process I really didn't exactly trust then (and I have **NO** idea how it's accomplished if you buy glasses on-line), is that the eye-tech person in the store had me put on the frames I wanted to buy with plain/clear lenses, and then marked on the glasses where the center of the pupil of each of my eyes was, when I had the glasses on. Presumably so they could place the "beginning" of the progressive magnification right in the center of where my eye is looking out (which I guess isn't always exactly in the enter of the lens, depending on your own eyes).

What really bugged me was this was done -- pardon the pun, but how else can I say this? -- this was done *entirely* by the eye-tech person "eyeballing" it. VERY unscientifically too, by my take of the process. "Yeah, that looks about right" does not invoke a lot of confidence, let me tell you.

So anyway, how in the hell do they do that part when you buy on-line?? That's probably the biggest part of my hesitancy in getting new glasses -- which I actally need to do this calendar year -- is how in hell do you insure that "good enough, yeah I guess that's close" really is "good enough"??!!!

We've socked away extra in our home health savings (which avoid being taxed) specifically for me to get some new and probably stronger glasses this year (which has to be spent, use-or-lose, by Dec 31 -- so my question isn't academic. 

EDIT:  To clarify, at least 6 years ago, my distance vision didn't need any correction, and I could technically get away with wearing cheap $5 reading glasses when I needed to (which is 100% of the time now, when I need to read/see up close). My "reader" magnification needed back 6-7 years ago was 2x, and probably needs to be about 2.5x now.

I really didn't "need" to get progressive lenses back then, but I hated forever needing to put readers on, and take them off, 30 times a day. And don't like "looking over" my cheap readers either. So I got the progressives purely for convenience and aesthetics too (I'll admit). 

Edited by Rooster_Ties

2 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

I think the key is trying them on locally before buying, so you know that you're going to like the fit/look, instead of buying online before getting to try them on.

I'm sure local businesses appreciate you're taking up their time with the intention of buying online. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, sonnymax said:

I'm sure local businesses appreciate you're taking up their time with the intention of buying online. :rolleyes:

If you walk into an eyeglass shop in your local mall, and try on a few pairs that you might like, and then leave, I don't think they're going to be too upset. If they ask, I just say I'm just browsing.  Many people window shop and try things on in just about every shop that sells clothing and so forth.  Why would this be any different?

I'm sure you've never done that at any local clothes store.

Edited by Aggie87

42 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Also, if you're worried you can always take your new glasses back to your optometrist and ask him/her to look them over. The office staff might be able to do it for free. I can't recall if I did that with my last pair or not. 

I'd never take glasses bought online to an optician to have them "looked over". I wouldn't find that correct - i.e. buying online but taking advantage of services in actual shops (if at all, I'd be all prepared to pay an approriate fee). So this is where buying online is a case of "trust" and "caveat emptor" and being prepared to return them if you are dissatisfied or feel unfomfortable (don't take ANY chances in that latter case because this indicates something is amiss and won't do you or your eyes much good in the long run).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

19 hours ago, Brad said:

You only have one set of eyes and you shouldn’t stint for them, in my view. 

Seriously Brad? So, let's say that Person A goes to a qualified Optometrist, who verifies the health of his eyes and issues a new, slightly stronger prescription. So does Person B.

Person A walks 10 feet thru the waiting area into the "independent" retail establishment that sells frames and has equipment onsite to create the glasses the prescription calls for. He finds a frame he likes and if his prescription is simple enough, in about an hour walks out with clearer vision and $500 lighter in the wallet.

Person B walks out of the optometrist's office, turns right thru the exit door, shops online for frames, and about four days later has a set of frame he likes and vision that is also clearer.  He is $300 lighter in the wallet.

Person B has stinted on his preservation of his eyesight??? In what possible way?

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I'd never take glasses bought online to an optician to have them "looked over". I wouldn't find that correct - i.e. buying online but taking advantage of services in actual shops (if at all, I'd be all prepared to pay an approriate fee). So this is where buying online is a case of "trust" and "caveat emptor" and being prepared to return them if you are dissatisfied or feel unfomfortable (don't take ANY chances in that latter case because this indicates something is amiss and won't do you or your eyes much good in the long run).

I don't know how it works in Old Europe but in the states, it seems that part of the job description and duty for licensed opticians is to adjust the frames of anyone who walks thru the door.  Frames get knocked around (I don't know how many times my dog has fucked up my glasses) and you go to the eyeglass store to get them tightened up. No one has ever asked if I bought them there, and I have certainly gone to retail establishments I've never purchased from for this service. 

If this is a problem, what would you possibly do if you were out of town and had your frames twisted around so the damn things wouldn't even stay on your face? Wait until you are back so you can take them where you bought them, or go find an optician and ask them to tighten these things back up?

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Seriously Brad? So, let's say that Person A goes to a qualified Optometrist, who verifies the health of his eyes and issues a new, slightly stronger prescription. So does Person B.

Person A walks 10 feet thru the waiting area into the "independent" retail establishment that sells frames and has equipment onsite to create the glasses the prescription calls for. He finds a frame he likes and if his prescription is simple enough, in about an hour walks out with clearer vision and $500 lighter in the wallet.

Person B walks out of the optometrist's office, turns right thru the exit door, shops online for frames, and about four days later has a set of frame he likes and vision that is also clearer.  He is $300 lighter in the wallet.

Person B has stinted on his preservation of his eyesight??? In what possible way?

First off, you should have your eyes examined yearly by an ophthalmologist; an optometrist is not as qualified. 

Secondly, I'm not trusting the making of my glasses to someone I don't know and can't; I have no idea under what conditions they're being made and where. 

If you want to trust your only pair of eyes to online vendors, feel free.  Me? No way. 

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I don't know how it works in Old Europe but in the states, it seems that part of the job description and duty for licensed opticians is to adjust the frames of anyone who walks thru the door.  Frames get knocked around (I don't know how many times my dog has fucked up my glasses) and you go to the eyeglass store to get them tightened up. No one has ever asked if I bought them there, and I have certainly gone to retail establishments I've never purchased from for this service. 

If this is a problem, what would you possibly do if you were out of town and had your frames twisted around so the damn things wouldn't even stay on your face? Wait until you are back so you can take them where you bought them, or go find an optician and ask them to tighten these things back up?

I am not talking about shop-bought frames being adjusted or otherwise brought back into shape either by the optician I bought them from or by some other optician. But if it was some other optician shop (not the one I bought them from) I'd fully expect being charged a fee (even if a nominal one only) and would feel uneasy if they did not. I even felt uneasy about certain free services "my" shop had performed on my glasses quite a while after I had bought the glasses there.
And like i said, I'd not do this if it was about frames/glasses I had bought online. I'd feel this was unfair to the shop (or else I'd insist on paying an adequate fee - luckily so far I have not needed their services, but I do take care of my frames and lenses - or try as best as I can).

22 minutes ago, Brad said:

First off, you should have your eyes examined yearly by an ophthalmologist; an optometrist is not as qualified. 

Secondly, I'm not trusting the making of my glasses to someone I don't know and can't; I have no idea under what conditions they're being made and where. 

If you want to trust your only pair of eyes to online vendors, feel free.  Me? No way. 

First is a nice bit of misdirection.

Second - do you do due diligence on where and how your lenses are made?  Do you think they can be made in such a way as to actually damage your eyes, if produced by a lab used by an online outfit? As mentioned previously, its just as likely they are sent out to the same exact lab as does the lenses for an online seller.

Or I don't know Brad maybe those online sellers use sweatshop labor and 100 year old equipment. That's how they get their prices so low and afford those national advertising campaigns.

12 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

If you walk into an eyeglass shop in your local mall, and try on a few pairs that you might like, and then leave, I don't think they're going to be too upset. If they ask, I just say I'm just browsing.  Many people window shop and try things on in just about every shop that sells clothing and so forth.  Why would this be any different?

I'm sure you've never done that at any local clothes store.

You're right. I misunderstood you, thinking you might be spending significantly more time there, with the help of sales staff, etc. My apologies.

As far as me in a clothes store, that only applies to women's clothing. :lol:

18 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

First is a nice bit of misdirection.

Second - do you do due diligence on where and how your lenses are made?  Do you think they can be made in such a way as to actually damage your eyes, if produced by a lab used by an online outfit? As mentioned previously, its just as likely they are sent out to the same exact lab as does the lenses for an online seller.

Or I don't know Brad maybe those online sellers use sweatshop labor and 100 year old equipment. That's how they get their prices so low and afford those national advertising campaigns.

Aside from the sarcasm, how is going to an ophthalmologist misdirection? They're equipped to determine whether your eyes have an issue. An optometrist is not. A few years ago, something in my eye didn't feel right so I called my ophthalmologist and she had me come right over. She detected a problem with the retina and an hour later I was being examined by a retinologist, who corrected the problem. An optometrist doesn't have the equipment nor the training to detect problems with your vision. 

Dan, you can do what you want but I'm not trusting my eyes to an optometrist or an online merchant. 

Edited by Brad

Agreed on ophthalmologist vs optometrist, but unless you get your lenses/prescription ground on-site, you have no idea where they're being made or by who.

I still like doing mine on-site because the place I patronize has pretty girls with soft hands, warm hearts, dark senses of humor, and they always smell good, as does the Chinese joint just across the street.

17 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Would you know if they used the Varilux lenses you paid for or used a cheaper alternative?

Check the symbols (for company and lens model logos as well as ADD) and find out for yourself, e.g. with help provided here (p. 23-25  for Varilux): :)

https://www.sheridanoptical.com/Images/2015-ProgressiveIdentifier.pdf

(Yes these ID symbols on the lenses CAN be seen with the naked eye when holding the glasses against a bright light source)

Edited by Big Beat Steve